Is this Hard Drive fried??

guitardude777

In Runtime
I'm helping out my neighbor who's computer crashed. The "geek squad" at best buy told her that she lost all of her data when the hard drive failed. Then they told her that they need the restore disc(how dumb are these people?). Anyway, I took the hard drive out of her computer and hooked it up to mine. I'm not able to access it and when I right click it and go to properties it shows the hard drive as having a 0 byte capacity and 0 bytes free. Is it fried?

It could be. Go to the drive manufacturer's website and download their drive utility. It will diagnose the drive and tell you of any problems.

Is it an IDE drive? If so, make sure the jumpers are in the right position.

DId u use the same cable? the cables arent very good, sometimes they break and give errors like this. and yeah like previously said use the drive manufacturers software to check out the drive.

No I used my own working cable. It's a crappy maxtor drive from a Dell Dimension 4700. I don't know where to get the diagnostic software, but I'm pretty sure the drive is toast.

here you go guitardude777: SeaTools for Windows.
SeaTools for Windows is a comprehensive, easy-to-use diagnostic tool that helps you quickly determine the condition of the disc drive in your external hard drive, desktop or notebook computer. It includes several tests that will examine the physical media on your Seagate or Maxtor disc drive and any other non-Seagate disc drive.

if the hard drives bad throw it in the freezer for 24 hours im not kidding
u can get up to 6 hours of a work hard drive
make sure u back every thing up on it tho

if the hard drives bad throw it in the freezer for 24 hours im not kidding
u can get up to 6 hours of a work hard drive
make sure u back every thing up on it tho
Erm that was a pretty stupid comment lol .
If the hard drive is bad throw it in the freezer
But make sure you back up the data first
Erm yeah if it aint working how do youmanage that

And if the hard drive failed its maker diagnostis then it probably is bad

Back
Top Bottom