Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-08-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
Beta Member

Exclamation Hard drive failer

Sup my IT ppl,

Now I have a hard drive that failed, or seems to have failed. It has about 80gigs of music (about 22,500 songs) that I am NOT willing to lose.

This is the error.

E:\ is not accessible

The wrong diskette is in the drive.
Insert (Volume Serial Number: ) into drive E:\.

I have used PC Inspector File Recovery. I only got 5 gigs and only 1:02 parts of songs.

Does any one know of anywhere that can fix this, or has had any experience with this?

Every riddim from 90s 0-9, A-Z, every reggae gold, every strictly the best. Some RARE stuff, some stuff that make ya say "RAAA I REMEMBER DA SONG WHEN I WA IN PRIMARY SCHOOL"

Help plz?

soldierslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:47 PM   #2
Baseband Member

Default Re: Hard drive failer

Is this HDD your primary hard disk or just a secondary one?

You could try putting it in another PC to see if it could read it. You could also try booting from a live OS (an OS that fits on a CD...like damn small linux) or even get the ultimate boot cd (google that) and backup your files.

If all else fails, try putting the HDD in your freezer over night or longer. A lot of people think this is a myth but it does work sometimes. If the problem is with certain parts inside the HDD the freezing actually can help. It only gives you about half hour of working time though until it "thaws"

Durham College
David Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:06 AM   #3
j03
~~~~~~~~

Send a message via MSN to j03

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ireland View Post
Is this HDD your primary hard disk or just a secondary one?

You could try putting it in another PC to see if it could read it. You could also try booting from a live OS (an OS that fits on a CD...like damn small linux) or even get the ultimate boot cd (google that) and backup your files.

If all else fails, try putting the HDD in your freezer over night or longer. A lot of people think this is a myth but it does work sometimes. If the problem is with certain parts inside the HDD the freezing actually can help. It only gives you about half hour of working time though until it "thaws"
Make sure, that if you opt for the freeze method that you seal it in a bag. Water is not good!
j03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
BSOD

Quote:
try putting the HDD in your freezer
Que? It might be dangerous fro the hard drive being turned on after freezing... It may be unreversibly damaged, even putting it into the PC at once after you walked with it in the street at cold weather is nnot recommended...
e-pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:08 PM   #5
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

e-pundit -
The "freezer trick" (freezing a hard drive) is a long used technique for getting data off a failing drive. The cold contracts the components, and allows them to spin freely, or at least until they heat up again. This should allow one a few minutes to grab any needed files.

Freeze your hard drive to recover data: Myth or reality?
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote