Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Default Hard Drive Data Recovery

I like to keep stuff backed up which is why I have a RAID1 setup on my server. For some reason one of the disks decides it doesn't like being on a RAID and kicks itself off and erases the data. That's ok, because all the data is on the other drive. I try to rebuild it and it doesn't like that. I checked the disk that did have stuff on it, so I know it had all the data. So I delete the array and create a new one. That was my mistake when I created a new one. That didn't rebuild both, it just acted as if nothing was on either. I delete the array and try to use just the disk that was working only to find that to get it to show up in My Computer I need to convert it using Disk Management, in which case it will format the drive. As if I didn't do enough damage, I don't really want to format it any further... Is there anything I can do to get my stuff back? I tried some software, but most of them are for if the drive shows up as a letter in My Computer, and this doesn't. Honestly, for the most part I think I have most of that stuff backed up on various other computers, but there is some stuff on there I don't have elsewhere because with a RAID1 I wasn't supposed to need to... Do I just need to format it to get it working with that software?

Old 01-27-2011, 06:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: Hard Drive Data Recovery

I've used R-Studio with great results on formatted drives. It's not free, but not expensive either when you look at the cost of your data like music and songs.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
Old 01-27-2011, 06:42 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

I did some searching and found TestDisk. It seems to be working. It's copying files now. It found the drive and showed me all the files on the drive, so I assume it's working. We shall see when it's done copying.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy

I've also used GetDataBack with success, even on a formatted drive. Glad you found something that is working for you. Let us know how it turns out.

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Old 12-25-2011, 02:16 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

That was almost a year ago, but Testdisk copied all the files fine. Nothing was lost.
Closed Thread