Hard drive crashing

Thanks so much for the help. I thought about what could be causing this and it might be that the drive is too fast for the laptop so i might wait a while and get a new pc instead.

Be careful with Toshiba drives. Still seeing a high failure rate on those here at work and from friends who buy systems with Toshiba drives. The Samsungs are OK however.

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

I thought about what could be causing this and it might be that the drive is too fast for the laptop

This isn't possible. Mechanical Hard Drives are still the slowest part of any PC today. That's changing with SSD (Solid State Disks) but even then, they still aren't fast enough to totally saturate what modern PCs can do.

I'll probably just wait a while and get a new pc instead. I have to replace the thermal paste and clean the fan on this constantly because of the heat.

Another thing... once you do the Thermal Paste application, as long as you've done it right, it will last a long time (6+ months at least). That's usually not going to fix it if you have to keep doing it.

When you say you have to do that because of heat, what is your indication? What is happening that makes you go to do that again?

Sorry, i didn't see the reply. When i replace it it works for around 2-6 weeks and then starts overheating. It gets worse until it shuts down. Im not sure if it's because of the quality of the thermal paste. The only other thing i have tried is using a fan near the laptop which works but can be annoying while trying to play games. I thought about trying to get the fan (in the laptop) to run at full speed constantly but that would probably cause more problems.

---------- Post added at 02:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

Also, if it's bad sectors causing the problem could a reformat solve it?

Back
Top Bottom