Hard drive crash

yankie_1132

Solid State Member
Hi guys,

My hard drive crashed on me the other day. Turned on the computer and it indicated that the OS was not to be found. Bios does not detect it either. So I bought a new hard drive. My question is if any one knows of a software to detect an undetectable hard drive to recovery all my data on it. I had this problem happen to be before but was able to find a freeware to do it, but I forgot which software it is. I've tried a few so far, and none can detect the crashed hard drive.

fyi...the hard drive still spins, no click noise coming from the hard drive.

Any help is appreciated. I don't want to pay someone to do this yet. Thanks.

Try booting up on a live-eval linux CD or USB key. I've had luck in the past pulling data off of a bad hard drive that could not be detected by Windows. I just used the regular old file manager that came with whatever version of Linux I was using at the time. Linux is far more flexible when it come to detecting different types of file systems.

Both Bios and OS is not detecting. I had this issue last year with another drive, and I was able to find a program on the net, free, which found the drive and from there I was able to get the data off.

If the BIOS won't detect it, then a linux CD won't do anything.

If the hard drive is still detected by the BIOS, but Windows doesn't see the partition, a data recovery program would work.

How are you connecting the bad drive? Have you tried an external USB enclosure? I would still try connecting the drive to a Linux system via USB enclosure. I have had this work for me in the past...

How are you connecting the bad drive? Have you tried an external USB enclosure? I would still try connecting the drive to a Linux system via USB enclosure. I have had this work for me in the past...

i've connected it to both a sata port and also an external usb port with sata to usb and power supply. both does not detect. i don't know much about linux and how to connect it that way. can you give me more info?

It's probably a mechanical failure in the device. There isn't really a way to recover the data from that unless you want to send it out to a company that does it and will charge an arm and a leg with no guarantee of recovery.

Back
Top Bottom