Hard Drive Constantly Seeking

guitardude777

In Runtime
A couple weeks ago I noticed that my hard drive was seeking when I wasn't using the computer. The hard drive activity light blinks almost every second. It's not my firewall, it's not my antivirus, and it isn't any of the other programs I have running because I've tried disabling all of them and the problem didn't go away. I also have the indexing service and virtual memory/paging file turned off. I have no idea what's causing the hard drive to seek, does anyone else?

I'm assuming your using vista since you mentioned the indexing service.

next time you see it seeking, open up up the resource monitor (button for it on the performance tab in task manager). Click the down arrow by "disk". Sort by read, then write. Odds are one thing will extremely high in either read or write. I'm thinking it's going to be system restore, and this should tell you.

I would start buy running your security programs to see if you've been hijacked.if it is Vista your running it could be your automatic back up program, is our drive space reducing?

Is Windows update turned off it could be that, did you run your AV/SPYWARE programs?

Well, I have windows update set to download updates be let me decide when to install them. I've always had it set to this and it has never caused a problem.

Does anyone know what could be causing the constant hard drive activity? svchost.exe is the only other process that I can think of that could be causing this, but svchost.exe needs to be running doesn't it?

I'm running an in-depth analysis with NOD32 and so far it said that C:\Program Files\Outlook Express svchost.exe is infected with a trojan, so I deleted it. I don't know if that was any part of the problem.

I'm running an in-depth analysis with NOD32 and so far it said that C:\Program Files\Outlook Express svchost.exe is infected with a trojan, so I deleted it. I don't know if that was any part of the problem.

Possibly. that file should not exist in that location.

Back
Top Bottom