Hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brookfield

Golden Master
My guru was working on my pc the other day, when he stopped & listened, asking me if I could hear that, he meant some faint clicks that I hadn't noticed before, I asked him what he meant & he said he thoght that my HDD was on it's way out.
Now I've had him a while now sorting out problems, & he's always honest so there's no way he's conning me, so will the noises get louder, until one day I suddenly won't be able to boot up?, if so will I lose everything or could the the stuff on there be recovered?

i know when you start hearing the noise the harddrive is soon to go!!!i would back up my data now they sell cheap external harddrives now easy back up!im not sure if you can get the data off of it unless you get it repaired.idk if the platters get messed up or not.

i know when you start hearing the noise the harddrive is soon to go!!!i would back up my data now they sell cheap external harddrives now easy back up!im not sure if you can get the data off of it unless you get it repaired.idk if the platters get messed up or not.
The little repair shop I go to would fit a new boxed hard drive for around £40 + labour £20, so £60 in all, a good deal I think.

a hdd is easy to fit, even for someone with no experience, after all you just need to take out the current one and replace it so you will know where it goes. what size is it anyway (this new one you speak of)?
if i ever build a computer i think i may get a cheap 40gb hdd and then a 500gb external drive. ill keep all my data on the external so i can use it on my laptop easily and so if the main hdd fcuked up ill be good. id highly suggest that, especially when 500gb hdds are £70-£100

a hdd is easy to fit, even for someone with no experience, after all you just need to take out the current one and replace it so you will know where it goes. what size is it anyway (this new one you speak of)?
if i ever build a computer i think i may get a cheap 40gb hdd and then a 500gb external drive. ill keep all my data on the external so i can use it on my laptop easily and so if the main hdd fcuked up ill be good. id highly suggest that, especially when 500gb hdds are £70-£100
Nah, I'm no techie, I leave that to the experts, the guy I use is normally £20 call-out fee, but he charges me £12, he's a friend of a relative of mine, & runs a small repair shop, it was him who built it for me in the first place, he also charges items at cost, so it's a good deal.

It is easy as dude_se said but if you preffer to leave it to the techhies then thats ok. what size hd would the new one be ?

also i would back everything up straight away

yea. thats why an external hdd is good. no messing about with networks or dvds or stuff

It is easy as dude_se said but if you prefer to leave it to the techhies then thats ok. what size hd would the new one be ?, also i would back everything up straight away
He did me a a b/up disc about 3 months ago, as for size my present one is 80 gb, the replacement would be the same, as I very rarely download anything, the graph shows that it has 84% free space.

i would back up what you have ASAP. then just see how long your HDD lasts maybe it will last longer than you think

yea. thats why an external hdd is good. no messing about with networks or dvds or stuff
Mine have always been internal, I've watched this guy, in seconds he's in the case, 3 or 4 minutes later tho old one's out, & the new one's in, closes the case, done, I timed him with a stop watch; 7 minutes 11 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom