hard drive?

hascet

Fully Optimized
I have a drive going bad in a computer, and I have on ethat is identical to it, they are both sata and was wondering if a could clone it somehow without reloading windows just stick it in my computer along with the other drive and clone it...?

ya but I need to transfer all data over to it, plus I would like to transfer windows if its possible, but I don't know if it is...

well, if your drive isn't totally dead then i would plug both into another computer and use something like Drive Image or Norton Ghost to image the drive to the new one. otherwise you'll have to reinstall if that won't work. you can't do it in your computer because you won't be able to copy the windows files or registry components while they are in use.

Well what I meant by my computer was the one I own, the hdd i'm doing it to is to another computer. But thats exactly what I need to do...

if the drive has bad sectors and u ghost it onto another drive, it will copy over teh damaged sectors as well, so be careful.

Well, that would have worked perfectly :) but just found out it was the cpu fan on the cooler, now i'm talking to some idiot dell tech support person and they are asking the stupidest questions, I just want a new fan lol!

Hold on...I'm missing something: Is the problem the HDD bad or the fan that caused troubles, making you think it was the HDD?

I thought it was the hard drive, but when I was taking out the drive to clone it, I decided to check one last time to make sure that was the problem, and when I did I noticed it was the CPU fan so now that is the problem not the hdd :p And the dell technician just abandoned me! He just stopped responding! Oh well I'll try again tommorrow...

what is exactly wrong with the fan? If you want to temporarily use the computer, just ghetto rig a fan to the heatsink with zip ties and you should be good to go.

Back
Top Bottom