Hard drive

Jimbo246

Baseband Member
Hi, i was wonderign if anyone knows how to get my new 40 gig hard drive to work in my 2nd computer. My computer is very old. I tried just goin to detect the hdd in cmos but the screen jsut freezes and the keyboard doesnt resopond. The old drive used to be only 4 gb i think so maybe the jump to 40 is to large for the older mobo.Thanx

try repositioning the jumper/s and look up your manufacture's jumper selection... make sure ifit's the first harddrive to set to master and second to slave... if that doesn't work try setting the jumper to cable select.

If this is the second harddrive make sure to take a look at your ide cable and get both the Harddrives on the same ide cable.

i replaced the 4 gb cuz it crapped out so im only using this one,and i already tried the jumpers,BUT ill try again

I jsut double checked and i had the jumper in the right spot and i stumbled acrcoss this in the online manual. I said to do this if your mobo doesnt supportsome auto detect ide hdd or somthing like that. it says"go into your user define mode and but referring written information on the proudct sey the correct settings of sylender,head, and sector nad if same bios must be ,set the HDD mose to LBA.
Now if somone can plz translate that to noobie language i would greatly appreciate it. Or just tell me how to get to user define mode and reffering written info on the product means it might help me out.
thanx

umm... to set it to LBA mode you just go under the first setting(forget exact name but it shows all you ide drives and the info on them) of the BIOS, then go to the harddrive it's not detecting (if it's there, which it should be) and set it's settings to LBA and master. It's pretty basic I don't know the exact names of the settings but if you go into bios you you should be able to figure out how to set the HDD to LBA mode and all that stuff.

Back
Top Bottom