Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-16-2006, 04:57 AM   #1
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to r_moore04
Default Hard Disk

im gettin a new hard disk for my pc, its a SATA and i dont want that Raid thing on, so is all i have 2 do is put the master and slave thing on and turn the pc on and it will show in my computer, and should i have 2 reformat it 2 NTFS b4 i use it?

Old 06-16-2006, 05:00 AM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to mammikoura
Default Re: Hard Disk

don't know about SATA, but with my IDE drive I just plugged in, booted the computer, formatted the drive (to ntfs) and thats it. U might have to mess around with the master/slave stuff, but it's not hard.

mammikoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:15 AM   #3
Daemon Poster

yeh i no iv done it with a IDE drive, but never done it with the SATA ones b4
Old 06-16-2006, 05:22 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to Nik00117 Send a message via MSN to Nik00117 Send a message via Yahoo to Nik00117

SATA drives unless your playing with RAID is plug and play. There is no setting amster or slave on them liek you would on a IDE. If you get a seagate you can dl their discs wizard and format. I highly suggest seagate.

SATA DoES NOT HAVE MASTER OR sLAVE its SATA 1, 2, 3, 4 SATA 1 is your master you plug your first SATA drive into that and its master automatically. 2,3,4 are slaves.

SATA is dirt easy really, I mean IDE isn't hard either but SATA is easier then IDE. In fact all of my customer builds will be SATA HDs from here on out with me.e IDE is old.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:43 AM   #5
Daemon Poster

do u mean the master and slave thing is on the motherboard, so if u plug the master in the number 1 thing and then the slave in to 2, 3, 4 and so on, and will it just come up in my computer, and wot format will be it?
Old 06-16-2006, 05:58 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to Nik00117 Send a message via MSN to Nik00117 Send a message via Yahoo to Nik00117

I believe it will be NTFS. You can't format HDs any larger then I belive 137 GIGs with anythign else because of FAT32 limintations. And yes on your mobo (if it has SATA slots) it'll say SATA 1, 2, 3, 4 plug the one you want to be "master" into 1. You can choose what to format it as. Me I always reformat anyways the drive wont' have any data on it so you can just format the entire thing to NTFS and then partion it out. Its fairly simple, I was worried about how my PC would react to it. I booted it up and I was all ready to spend a few hours figuring it out. Within 5 mins I had it partioned (using seagate dsicswizard) and was transfering files onto it.

If your mobo supports 3.0 GIGs you can remove the pin that keep its at 1.5 GIGs. But then again do your research before you do that.

SATA are fairly easy. Honsetly the hard part for me installing it was getting it to fit with the HD cooler (My fan was a lil to big and I had to do a few case mods to get it to work.)
Old 06-16-2006, 07:22 AM   #7
Golden Master

All you do is plug the SATA Hard drive on SATA 1 and you are on. It will be detected with Windows. If it doesn't, install the SATA or RAID drivers. I don't know why they put RAID with it, but last time I checked, RAID was with SCSI...RAID HDDs...

Anyways, it will be as easy to put the HDD as an IDE...only thing you won't need to worry is about the cable positions....meaning to be upside down.
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:56 AM   #8
Baseband Member

Send a message via MSN to kevinscallan

I have just started to use SATA Hard Drives and i think that they are alot better than IDE Because you don't have to setup the jumpers between Master or Slave.

SATA does all that for you when you plug in the SATA Leads to the Motherboard Ports like what someone has replied on this thread SATA 1 is Master for your Operating System to be installed and then any other SATA HDD gets plugged into SATA 2,3 or 4 and will be Slave HDD's.

I have just bought a Seagate Barracuda 80GB SATA and think that they are mint. They have a faster Data load Speed at 1.5Gbps and is quiet as a mouse.
kevinscallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:14 AM   #9
Daemon Poster

yeh iv just been lookin at that Seagate 80GB one, looks quite gd, its the Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 80GB or the Western Digital Caviar Special Edition 80GB, i dont no which 1 yet. both are SATA-II 8MB Cache and are 7,200 RPM
Old 06-16-2006, 08:17 AM   #10
Baseband Member

Send a message via MSN to kevinscallan

Im using a Seagate Barracuda SATA 11 But my motherboard only allows SATA 1.5Gbps but they work great together.

kevinscallan is offline   Reply With Quote