Hanging After RAM Upgrade

flashweb

Solid State Member
Hi,

My computer is have 256 MB DRAM.

And it was working fine, i just brought another 256 MB of DRAM.

Now my computer hangs with blue screen or display go vibrating (keyboard caps lock won't respond).

One time i got PAGE-FAULT-IN-NONPAGED-AREA, but errors are different at different time, some times blue screan death, some times display goes vibrating.

I have removed the new RAM, computer is working fine, i removed old RAM and put the new one, still computer working fine.

When i add both RAMS, it start hanging.

How do i fix the problem ?

Regards,

Yujin

The specs about them may be different, like pc2300 or pc3200. Also i think there is something liek microns or something, that could be differnt.

Is there any way i can find this by looking the RAM or through any s/w ?

I am now using only my OLD RAM, if i can find out the specification for existing RAM, i can try to get RAM of same specification.

You can find it out when you first boot into BIOS.

It says when u reboot 133mhz or 200mhz or wat not.

U multiply that number by two, and there you got it.

if it's 166mhz, than you have DDR333.

The problem is the basing on the semi conductors. If one is micron based and the other is Samsung based, then they will conflict and cease up. You need to buy another matching stick of micron or samsung ram. I recommend crucial or micron (crucial is micron based) because Micron based RAM runs at lower temps and has naturally lower latencies.

I put one RAM and rebooted, it just says 256 MB RAM, in setup, it says DDR 266.

I removed the RAM and put new RAM and checked, that also says DDR 266.

The new RAM is

Hynx 505BM
HY50U56822BT-H
KOREA

Old RAM Says

256 MB - 32 * 64 DIMM
PC2100-DDR SDRAM

It have a plastic cover over the memory chip, so can't read what is written on the chip.

Regards,

Yujin

AMD ZEN said:
The problem is the basing on the semi conductors. If one is micron based and the other is Samsung based, then they will conflict and cease up. You need to buy another matching stick of micron or samsung ram. I recommend crucial or micron (crucial is micron based) because Micron based RAM runs at lower temps and has naturally lower latencies.

This is the problem, I guarantee it. This only happens when you combine the RAM, which makes me 100% sure this is the problem.

Thanks, i have asked my provider to change the RAM.

Samsung and micron, are they just two company that make DDR RAM ? Or they are some standards ?

On new RAM Chip, its written Hynx, is it just another company like micron and samsung or they get RAM from one of these providers ?

Back
Top Bottom