Guidance needed - Gaming/Multimedia Rig Setup

iskoristena4

Solid State Member
Hey everyone!:D
i have been saving for ever now to accumulate enough money to buy my first real gaming/multimedia pc, however my knowledge of setting up computers is very limited... i have been doing some research so i wouldn't have to ask too many questions... however unfortunately my research hasn't been all that effective so im gonna be asking a lot lol.
So anyways my build is intended to start off as a multimedia unit, 3D modelling in particular (Rendering with V-ray), and so this is why i have chosen such an expensive processor, however i have been told the 3930k may be just fine?. After i have finished school the computer will be intended for High end gaming, running ultra-high graphics if possible. Eventually in the end i will probably use it for work related to multimedia (when i get a job :p). Just thought this additional information may help you guys in making some decisions.

Essentially i would not like to go over $3800 and at the moment my build appears to be coming to around $3300 (missing some parts) so that's pretty nice. But i am 100% aware that the parts i have chosen are very likely incompatible and so i will need to make many alterations, so just think of the parts i have got at the moment as a guideline i guess?

Basically the questions i need answering are as follows:
1. Is what i have so far compatible
2. Should i use 2 good graphics cards? or 1 REALLY good graphics card?
3. How much power am i going to need? and so what power supply should i get?
4. How many fans will i need? which ones should i get?
5. If by some miracle my components do work together, are there any parts i could buy that are just as good yet cheaper? e.g. cheaper yet equally as good graphics card's... Or mabye i could spend $10 extra and get a way better part?
7. What Hard drive should i get
8. What Solid State drive should i get?
9. What components am i missing?

The site i am using to purchase my computer is PC Case Gear and so i would REALLY appreciate if someone could help me use this site to build my computer
Current Hardware
CPU
Intel Core i7 3960X
Motherboard
Asrock Fatal1ty X79 Champion (Do i need such an expensive one?)
Graphics Card/Cards
1x Sapphire Radeon HD7970 6GB Vapor-X Edition

2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti 3GB OC
RAM
Corsair Dominator GT CMT32GX3M4X1866C9 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-222BB SATA DVDRW Drive OEM
Case
Aerocool Strike-X ST Devil Red Super Full Tower
CPU cooler
Corsair Hydro Series H80 CPU Cooler
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with SP1 OEM
Power supply
Absolutely no clue... Please suggest one for my build
Hard Drive
Anything 2TB + would be preferable
Solid State Drive
Not sure about this component, recommend please

Note: all the listed parts can be found on PC Case Gear. And i would prefer any referred parts to come from that site, if possible.
Everything i have listed so far comes to around $3334 and i dont wanna go over $3800... so i have roughly $500 left in my budget for a Hard drive, Power supply, Additional fans, and a solid state drive... If i am going to need to allocate more money to these components then i guess i can do that, but yeah... Hopefully i have provided you guys with enough information to answer my questions.
P.S. A very nice man put together a build for me earlier and i'm currently investigating that, if you guys want a screenshot of the parts just say so.

My opinions regarding your questions;

1) Yes

2) One GTX 680 should do it. You can always add another if it's needed.

3) Corsair, Antec, SeaSonic are quality brands, and you'll need 1200 watts to be
certain you're covered for additional hardware, and power overhead.

4) All depends on the case you choose, and if you intend to over clock.

5) An i7 3930k is all you need. The only difference in the 3960X is a little more
cache...just not worth the extra expense.

6) Primary with OS, should be an SSD, at least 256GB, Samsung, Crucial, Sandforce.
Mechanical drives will depend on your needs.

I have to run out now for an appointment...get back to you later.

Alright cheers! I have updated my rig now and this is what i have got... Ill look into the power supply a bit more now.
CPU
Intel Core i7 3930k
Motherboard
Asrock Fatal1ty X79 Champion
Graphics Card/Cards
1x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti 3GB OC
RAM
Corsair Dominator GT CMT32GX3M4X1866C9 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-222BB SATA DVDRW Drive OEM
Case
Aerocool Strike-X ST Devil Red Super Full Tower
CPU cooler
Corsair Hydro Series H80 CPU Cooler
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with SP1 OEM
Power supply
-None
Hard Drive
-None
Solid State Drive
-None

However i need to know if there is a better graphics card that i should buy? $100 extra doesn't bother me when it comes to that. I also need to know whethere i am buying a ridiculously expensive motherboard that i wont make any use of? and if so what should i get instead. Lastly i need to know What Hard drive, sold state drive and power supply i should get.

In my opinion, the GTX 680 is the best single graphics card on the market today, and will be until the GTX 780 is released, (no one knows for sure when). If you want the maximum pixel pumpin' power you can get, buy a pair of them, and run SLI, but I don't think you'll need it.

Just make sure your PSU can handle it if you decided later, to get another card, that's one of the reasons I suggested 1200 watts.

If you have no intention of over clocking that CPU, or just running a mild over clock such as I'm running with my 3930k, at 4.2GHz, then you can certainly save some money on the MB by going with a less expensive Asus. I recommend Asus, only because I've never had an issue with any I've used, and I've really pounded on them.

This board... Newegg.com - ASUS P9X79 PRO LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with USB BIOS will do all that you need for less money, assuming that you don't plan extreme overclocking.

I think I already answered your SSD question before, I'd go with at least a 256GB SSD for your OS drive. Either Crucial, Sandforce, or Samsung...they are all excellent in my opinion. For a mechanical drive, I'd stay with the Western Digital "Black" series, of what ever capacity you need. Also, don't forget a back-up drive. For that you can use a 500GB Western Digital "Blue". Choose a higher capacity if you think you'll need it.

For a power supply, as I said before, I prefer Antec, SilverStone, SeaSonic, or Corsair. Corsair is my personal favorite, because it's very highly rated, and I've never had a failure with a Corsair supply. I'm currently using the AX1200, and I think it's one of the best on the market.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200 (CMPSU-1200AX) 1200W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Oops, sorry, I just noticed that you're in Australia, so Newegg is no good for you, but you can still see the products I'm referring too.

EDIT: With the money you save, get the Corsair H100 cooler, instead of the H80, you'll be glad you did.

Also, I am not familiar with the chassis you've chosen, it may be excellent, however, I've build a number of highly overclocked gaming rigs with multiple graphic cards, and I am very impressed with the airflow, and cooling capacity of the Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced. I'm only suggesting that you consider it.

Last edited:
Few thoughts:
Do you really need 32GB mem? you could save little there going with 16GB imo.

Windows 7 Home Premium you selected only recognizes up to 16GB anyways unless you go with Pro or ULT.

I would get a better GPU, at least a 670, If anything save little more on the CPU and mobo (Maybe get a I7 3770k?) and get a better GPU.

I'm not familiar with the tower you are getting, but I'm very happy with my Haf-X.

@Rio,

The 3770k is a very nice all round CPU, and fine for gaming etc., but it's kids stuff when it comes to serious processing power.

He's building a machine for 3D Modeling, and Rendering work. The 6 cores, and 12 threads, provided by the 3930k will slice through his work, far more effectively than the 3770k.

Ham, Yeah I agree with you, I was thinking he is cheaping out on the GPU going with a 660 (Comparing with everything else he is getting). Which is why I thought, if it's a cost issue he could save a little on the CPU and mobo and get a better GPU.

Okay you guys have been incredibly helpful! i thank you both for your input :)
The results so far are as follows: (Hopefully its all compatible?)
CPU
- Intel Core i7 3930K
MotherBoard
- ASUS P9X79 Motherboard
Graphics
- 1x ASUS GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II Overclocked
RAM
- Corsair Vengeance Red CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9R 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3
SSD
- 1x Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD Retail Box
Hard Drive
- 1x Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 1TB 7200RPM 0F15632
Optical Drive
- Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Black 24xDVDRW OEM
Case
- Please take a look at PC Case Gear and attempt to find me a case that looks Amazing, has great ventilation, can support 2x graphics cards (large) and has enough spacing for modifications
Power supply
- Corsair AX1200 Gold Power Supply
CPU Cooler
- Corsair Hydro Series H100 CPU Cooler
Operating system
- Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64bit with SP1 OEM

Please comment on everything and tell me if you can find any better parts at PC Case Gear ^-^. Also with the power supply and CPU cooler, will i really need that much power/Cooling power? i do plan on getting a second graphics card in 5 months so take that into consideration. Also if you believe i need 2x SDD then please explain and ill take it into consideration. Thank you guys so much! you make this process so much easier for noobs like me.

Again, this is just my personal opinion. I haven't found a chassis that cools hardware quite like this...

CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced [RC-932-KKN5] - $165.00 : PC Case Gear

However, I realize that you may not like the physical appearance. That's a matter of personal taste. It is also a very large case that will handle even E-ATX motherboards, and tons of hardware. However, that Strike X case you chose before also looks like it is similar in design, especially the ability to convert the side panel to 4x120mm fans. I looked at some photos, and it looks like a well ventilated chassis as well. I guess it's best you read reviews and decide I which one you prefer.

I notice that you dropped your memory to 16GB. That may be more than enough, I really don't know. I have never worked with 3D Modeling and Rendering, so I'd be foolish to offer advice regarding memory. However, it might be a good idea to check with the folks who do that kind of work, and see if the extra memory is needed. Memory is so cheap these days, there is no sense in being caught short.

If you are referring to two solid state drives for a Raid 0 array, I'd say no, it's not needed. A single drive especially one like the Samsung 830 will be plenty fast. If you're referring to simply having another SSD, I'd have to ask for what purpose will it be used?

When you mount that H100, whether you use 2 fans or 4, make sure to mount the fans so that they are drawing in cool air from the outside, blowing it through the radiator, and into the case. Don't worry about the warm air hitting the graphic cards, because the side panel fans will dissipate it very quickly. That's one of the reasons why good case cooling is so important. Cases that don't have good side panel cooling, force you to mount the H100 fans so they are drawing air out of the case, through the radiator, and exhausting through the top. Not as effective in cooling because the radiator is using much warmer internal case air, rather than external cooler air.

I've attached a couple of photos of mine as an example.

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 3
  • i7 3930k Build In HAF 932 Advanced Chassis.jpg
    i7 3930k Build In HAF 932 Advanced Chassis.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 4
  • i7 3930k Build In HAF 932 Advanced Chassis2.jpg
    i7 3930k Build In HAF 932 Advanced Chassis2.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom