GTX280, Black Screen on bootup after driver install? Fresh Vista install

superman22x

Golden Master
I am helping out a friend with a computer problem, so I thought I'd post it up here:
Hello,
I just assembled a new machine and I'm having difficulty getting my video card drivers installed. I have an EVGA GTX280 in a EVGA 790i FTW Edition (the link does not say its the FTW edition but thats what the box and MOBO themselves say, and its what I ordered). My other components are A single 2GB stick of OZC DDR3 (the timings and voltages are set correctly) And a Intel Q9550.

My problem is that I cannot install the video card drivers successfully. I will be able to run the installation wizard and complete it but once Vista restarts all i get is a blank screen and the monitor goes into power save mode like its not getting any single from the card. I have tried the drivers from the included CD and the newest drivers from the EVGA website and none will work.

I have to hold down the power button to get the system to power back up and when it boots I I get the list of boot options when Vista fails to load correctly, and I must pick restore my computer to the previous state, where the drivers are no longer installed.

I am running Vista 64 bit Business Edition and the BIOS on the MOBO have been updated from the EVGA website. If you need anymore information please let me know. < B R>
Thank you!

Thats his post on another forum.

Do you guys have any ideas?

Bad card maybe?

Is he using the correct drivers for his version of Vista? They have separate drivers for 32 and 64 bit.

Is his power supply up to the task of running that monster? He needs at least 550W with 40A on the 12V rail.

when this happens to me, its usually when the Resolution is somehow set higher than what the monitor can handle.
Other than that, it might be that the cable is not connected tight enough.

Well the thing is that it boots up fine at first, at super low Res, 800x600 or something, then he installs the drivers, it restarts, and never boots again.

Bump... please?

Yeah, it does work in safe mode, but that's because safe mode disables all 3rd party drivers including Nvidia drivers.

I'm thinking he made need the Vista 2gb+ fix... Since with the video card it becomes 3gb.

While in safe mode, check to see that the resolution is set to something low that the monitor can handle.

Yeah, when it's in safe mode it can only run at the lowest resolution, and when it boots up it is probably different, but there is no way to change that is there?

Back
Top Bottom