Graphics vs CPU?

MCouary

Beta member
Hi guys, im looking for advice. Im buying a computer in a week or so and after surfing the internet, i came up with two possible rigs, their only noticeable diference is the CPU and Grpahics Card, everything else is pretty much the same, ill write them down:

1.- CPU: Core 2 Duo: E4400
Graphics Card: ATI HD 2400PRO 256MB

2.- CPU: Dual-Core E2160
Graphics Card: Nvidia 8500GT 256MB

I've read that for gaming, Bigger Cache means better performance, meaning that the E4400 is better suited for this task, but when it comes to the Graphics Card, the HD 2400PRO just won't do (Nvidia Beat this Graphic Card with their 8400GS Card). So, the E2160 might not be the best CPU for gaming due to its smaller cache, but a better Video Card would compensate this?. Which one will perform better in apps like Gaming, Streaming Media and Audio Encoding Tasks?

Hi guys, im looking for advice. Im buying a computer in a week or so and after surfing the internet, i came up with two possible rigs, their only noticeable diference is the CPU and Grpahics Card, everything else is pretty much the same, ill write them down:

1.- CPU: Core 2 Duo: E4400
Graphics Card: ATI HD 2400PRO 256MB

2.- CPU: Dual-Core E2160
Graphics Card: Nvidia 8500GT 256MB

I've read that for gaming, Bigger Cache means better performance, meaning that the E4400 is better suited for this task, but when it comes to the Graphics Card, the HD 2400PRO just won't do (Nvidia Beat this Graphic Card with their 8400GS Card). So, the E2160 might not be the best CPU for gaming due to its smaller cache, but a better Video Card would compensate this?. Which one will perform better in apps like Gaming, Streaming Media and Audio Encoding Tasks?

I'd go with rig2. The graphics card makes up for the cache. Also, it is a newer graphics card and will be updated with better drivers. The 8500 also can probably support more than the other one like directx, opengl, and shaders.

either rig isnt going to be able to play very many games, get AT LEAST a 8600GT or if you dont have enough money step down to the 7 series.

either rig isnt going to be able to play very many games, get AT LEAST a 8600GT or if you dont have enough money step down to the 7 series.

I can't afford a more expensive card and the 7XXX series have the same price as the 8XXX series!. so the question remains the same, which one will perform better in each situation?

I would say get number one. It's easier to upgrade the video card later on than the CPU. Plus, it has to be an overall cheaper system for PC #1. I always take CPU power as presedence over GPU.

Back
Top Bottom