Graphics problem

Chaosenemy

Baseband Member
I just installed my new EVGA 8800 GT 512mb. Everything installed fine and I restarted my computer.

I decided to test out my uber graphics card, so I loaded up Gears of War. Played so smooth with great settings... for about 3 minutes. Then the screen's colors went crazy and my computer froze. I've heard a lot about how often Gears crashes for some people, so I decided to try a different game. So I restarted and this time loaded up Half Life 2 Episode 2. I turned my settings up and marveled at the smooth framerate for about 5 seconds. The same glitch happened (I hadn't even left the menu screen yet). I just restarted my computer again and now the crazy colors are happening before windows even boots up. Anyone know what's going on? Please don't tell me my card is effed up (well, if it is then I guess you can lol).

your card is either overheating or is not getting enough power from the power supply

A card can overheat that fast? o_o

Also, it requires a 400 watt power supply; I have a 500 watt. Anyways, if it wasn't getting enough power, how would it even work in the first place?

Update: Monitored my GPU temp while playing Portal. Didn't go anywhere above 57C. Still froze a few seconds into the game.

A gpu can be be considered running as long as theres electricity flowing through it, even if it has a small current. What jo5h is saying basically is that theres not enough electricity flow through the gpu to make it run at its potential.

Give us your entire system specs. We need to know even the details like number and size of fans, GHz of CPU and if its OCed or not, size and speed of all hard drives, speed and type of all CD/ DVD drives. Your GPU is definatley not getting enough power, I usually recommend a 600w or higher with a 8800, with more than 30 amps on 2 or more 12v rails.

Well like I said, Gears of War played perfectly, flawlessly for about 3 minutes. I don't see how everything could be running fine for that long, then suddenly decide it doesn't have enough power. It's not like anything more intense was happening on the screen when it died or anything... it just happened at a seemingly random time, working absolutely perfect 1 second earlier.

Give us your entire system specs. We need to know even the details like number and size of fans, GHz of CPU and if its OCed or not, size and speed of all hard drives, speed and type of all CD/ DVD drives. Your GPU is definatley not getting enough power, I usually recommend a 600w or higher with a 8800, with more than 30 amps on 2 or more 12v rails.

Core 2 Duo e4300 1.8Ghz (not OCed obviously)
320GB Hard Drive, 7200rpm
DVD+/-R/W / CD-R/W Drive, not sure on the speed
A fan on my processor, one on my 8800, and a fan on the back... about 3x3 inches I'd say
500w power supply (8800 says it only requires a 400w...)

You may have gotten a bad graphics card. Your PSU is sufficient, (post the brand too i'm just wondering), temperatures aren't anywhere near critical, and it runs smoothly for a little bit. Sounds like a classic case of "I need to RMA this product."

If you have a reliable brand PSU then this is most likely the problem. Nothing you can actually fix. Just for kicks make sure you have the latest drivers.

Do you know the amperage of your PSU?

And also, the 400w requirement is assuming a minimally loaded system, and this does not allow room for further upgrades, like I said I pretty much ALWAYS recommend a 600w or higher to someone who wants a 8800. I usually recommend even higher for the GTX/ Ultra lines of the 8800s

Back
Top Bottom