Graphics Problem

eViLoNe

In Runtime
OK, I went to open a game this morning, and my computer throws a hissy fit, and reboots itself. So seeing as it's coming in to summer here, I think oh well, I'll use this occasion to clean my components of dust and the such.

After doing so, I go to turn my computer on, when the initial graphics card screen loads, saying the chipset, plus ram, it's got all these ASCII looking characters, not the normal text, when the BIOS finally posts, it has coloured lines down it. Red I think they are. I thought maybe the fan was overheating, so I cleaned it's heatsink once again, no luck.

I've also tried it in another computer, so I've ruled out the AGP slot being the problem. The card is a GeForce 6600GT 128mb AGP.

Any ideas on what could be causing this problem? I'm stumped, and don't have money for new components at this time.

Do you have another AGP card lying around? even if you think something to that nature is not the problem, it never hurts to try.

Yeah I plugged in my mothers AGP card, and it worked fine. I'm thinking I might have to save some money and probably just upgrade my whole computer.

I think the graphics card wouldve overheated when I opened the game, causing something in the GPU to go wrong. I'm not home, but I've left my computer off, I'll try turning it on when I get home and hope for the best, otherwise, it might be time for a upgrade finally. I'm stumped with this problem.

Yup, your video card is hosed. Most video card manufacturers offer a lifetime warranty on their cards. Check out your card manufacturer's website and see if your's is covered and apply for an RMA.

It's a Pixelview card, or Prolink. I don't know which they use. I rang the place I got the card from, and apparently it only had a 1yr RTB, and it's 1yr 3mnths old :|. I'll try looking around on the manufacturers site, otherwise I may just buy a cheap AGP card to get me through, then upgrade my computer.

Well ive just ordered a Albatron NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT AGP.

I don't mind buying one of them because I'm not upgrading untill about September next year. So I can just sell off this whole system when I build my new one.

Thanks everyone for the help, was much appreciated :).

Back
Top Bottom