Graphics Card upgrade for Asus P7555D-E PRO

Nora

Solid State Member
Hello all :)

I want to upgrade the graphics card to my pc, and I have a few questions.

My motherboard is Asus P7P55D-E PRO ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

The graphics card that I have now is Sapphire vapor-x radeon hd 5870 pci express 2.1 SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 5870 100281VX-2SR 1GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity - Newegg.com

I want to buy a card from newegg and would like to know what is the best card that is compatible with my mobo

another question is what is the best slot to put a video card out of the choices below (Just buying 1 card)
pci
pci express 2.0
pci express 2.0x16
pci express

last question, can I use a 3.0 in a 2.0 slot

Thanks

I'm not going to get in to the which card question. But I will offer that your power supply will need to have the power plugs for the card. Also make sure a long card is going to fit the case. People forget some of the better cards are quite long and may not fit all cases. Next make sure you have good air flow in your case. Vid cards usually have good cooling built in that vents out the back but some heat gets out in the case.

And a 3.0 will shift down to 2.0. Also the vid card goes in the PCI-e x16 slot.

Now the guys are going to make their recommendations as to which card they like.

Well the logical question would be what are you wanting to do that you need a vid card upgrade?

Well then I would recommend the EVGA Nvidia GTX650ti 2GB model. I use one and it's lived up to what I do with it.
I do folding at home and seti at home on it when I'm not watching blue ray videos. Along with some electronics CadCam. Only time you know it's there is when it gets really hot and the fan revs way up.

It doesn't break the bank either coming in under 200usd. I only recommend what I use or have used. I'm pretty pleased with it.

EDIT: Seems as my luck goes its been phased out for the 750. But it's still under 200usd.
EVGA - Products - EVGA GeForce GTX 750 2GB - 02G-P4-2752-KR

Snag a GTX 960 or 950. The 650ti is woefully outdated. The 960 is just over 200 bucks and the 950 is about 160 bucks. Both cards will do you fine for what you want to do and will save you some money.

Hello there :D

Your motherboard can handle any video card out until now since it has a physical 16x PCI-E. Just make sure to check the other sides mentioned by other members.

What kind of games are you interested in? The difference in this regard could be very noticeable, and sometimes really annoying, with different cards.

With the price range of $300-$350 USD you can get a GTX 970 if you are fine with Nvidia. Don't forget the question above tho.

Last edited:
I dont have any games in mind yet. But I want something that can handle just about anything (for the price range) just in case I get a demanding game, and also video editing.....something fast and reliable

Just something really really good that would last and is a noticable step up from the card that i have now, the Sapphire vapor-x radeon 5870 as stated above.

I am also going to be running dual monitors. right now i have the older 19inch which seems and looks bigger that the widescreen 19in. What is the best size monitor to get in comparison to the height of the older 19in non widescreen.

Thank everyone for all the help so far:)

Back
Top Bottom