Graphics card upgrade

jim123

Baseband Member
I need to upgrade my graphics card so i can play more games, however i do not know whether all graphics cards fit in one slot or whether there are different slot types for different graphics cards.

If there are different slots then please could you help me with which slot i will need to buy. I have included some information of my current graphics card below:

Name: NVIDIA Geforce2 MX/MX400
Chip Type: Geforce2 MX/MX400

PLease could you help me with this

there are 3 different types of slots. Pci, agp and pci-e. Now I'm not sure about your card, since I think there is both an agp and pci version of that card.
You should check what mobo you have, so we can find out the slot you have, and then find you a new card. If you don't know what mobo you have then there are some programs. Try everest home edition, though I don't know if there is a free version anymore.

Also, how much do you want to spend? And how many watts does your power supply have? The rest of the specs? The games you want to play?

just pop open your case, if your video card is in a slot on it's own.. chances are it's an agp slot, if it's in a slot that's next to or in between identical slot(s) it's probably a pci card..
it might interest you to begin considering a new computer though since agp/pci videocards are becoming rather out dated.

kchi55 said:
just pop open your case, if your video card is in a slot on it's own.. chances are it's an agp slot, if it's in a slot that's next to or in between identical slot(s) it's probably a pci card..
it might interest you to begin considering a new computer though since agp/pci videocards are becoming rather out dated.

If hes been on an MX400 until now i'm sure he will be fine with a 6800GT or X1600Pro for a while.

Most likley your using AGP, AGP is usually a brown slot, pull the side off your case and check, if its White its a PCI slot.

Let us know before you buy anything. :D

Mines still AGP, and you can get really good cards still for this.
At the moment mine houses a Geforce 6800GS, and its quite capable.

The 7600GT (GS) prices at the same price now I believe, as the 6800GS, and it performs better.

It'd definietly let you play the latest games at Medium resoloutions.

His motherboard is most likely using an AGP slot as some of us have mentioned. Especially if he's running an older Geforce 2 video card.

Mine current video card is currently in a green slot above all other slots, does thsi suggest what slot type it may be?

However i do have lots of free white PCI? slots. could i put a graphics card in one of these?

thanks

jim123 said:
Mine current video card is currently in a green slot above all other slots, does thsi suggest what slot type it may be?

However i do have lots of free white PCI? slots. could i put a graphics card in one of these?

thanks

Yea it probally an AGP slot, They arnt usually green.

But if you want to you could put a PCI vid card in the PCI slot,

You will gain more performance and have more upgrade options with AGP though

and since you already have one may as well use it :D

Back
Top Bottom