Graphics Card Suggestions

keshavkd

Solid State Member
I wanted suggestions for a Graphics Card.
My PC specs are :

AMD Athlon X2 240 Processor
Gigabyte - M61PME-S2P Motherboard (PCI - Express 2.0 x 16)
:)facepalm:)1 GB DDR2 RAM (I know, upgrading to 3 GB) :whistling:
Windows XP Professional 32-Bit(Upgrading to Windows 7 after getting my 3GB RAM):whistling:
500 GB SATA Seagate HDD
18.5" DELL Monitor
:)facepalm:)400W SMPS

My budget is $55 or below. (I live in India btw.)

These were some Graphics Cards I was interested in.
Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6450 1 GB DDR3 Graphics Card
Galaxy NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 1 GB DDR3 Graphics Card
Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 1 GB DDR3 Graphics Card

I want to play any game, that is games like Skyrim, Assassins Creed : Revelations, etc, etc (after upgrading to 3GB RAM that is) in at least 1278 x 768 resolution with medium or low settings.

And also, while buying RAM what should I keep in mind that it would be right for me?

Suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.

Thank you Ihuser. :)
But, will it go with my Mobo specs?
And also its Memory is 64-bit, 1 GB DDR3 Memory with 600 MHz.
Will that affect my PC as mine's a 32 Bit operating system and DDR2?
Can my SMPS handle it as the power output is 400W?
Is an external cooling device needed?

Also while buying more RAM, what should I focus on? Will the difference in Mhz affect anything?

I have a lot of questions. Im very sorry. I'm a complete newbie so please help me out.

Thank you.

No, the performance won't be affected. The video memory is utilised by the video card itself, and the system can't access it.

The power supply could run it, but if it struggles to keep things stable, you'll need to change it.

The Mhz difference from your stick of RAM which is 667 won't be affected unless you pick a slower frequency stick. I'd recommend sticking with a DDRII-667 stick or buying a new DDRII-800 memory kit. Try to see if you could grab a 2GB stick at least.

The person above you is a dumb bot spamming again, don't worry about it.

The GT520 is FAR better than the 6450 :)

The person above you is a dumb bot spamming again, don't worry about it.

The GT520 is FAR better than the 6450 =)

Yeah. Did some research myself. =D
Thank you Ihuser. =D
But one last question. Im still confused about the RAM.
I want to buy a 2 GB DDR2 RAM but I dont know what the Mhz is all about.
667 or 800 or 1227 or 1333. ( I hope I'm right about the figures. :facepalm: )
How do I find out the "Mhz" of my original 1 GB DDR2 RAM? So that I can match it after buying my 2 GB RAM.

Thank you again Ihuser. You helped me a lot. =)

I bought radeon hd 6720 2gb ddr3 card!

Through flipkart for 6500rs and i had played all high end games without any problem.

If you buy this you dont need to upgrade for 2 years!

Thanks Forumhookers but the thing is my budget is not more than Rs. 4500. (For both RAM and GPU) And also I'm not a real gamer. Just wanted to play my favorite games for a very long time. (Assassins Creed Series, coz I loved POP series. :angel:). Thanks anyways. :)

We're here to help, that's the intention of a forum ;)

Anyways, for your frequency confusion, you just have to get a DDRII stick. To find out what frequency you have on your current memory, go to CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting and grab CPU-Z. It'll tell you under the Memory tab I believe.

As long as you get a memory stick of the same frequency or higher, it'll work. The higher frequency RAM will adjust to your current stick.

Could I just give you a bear hug?
Forget that.
Under the Memory TAB it says that I've got a DDR2 1GB and DRAM Frequency 401.9 Mhz.
In the SPD tab under Max Bandwidth : PC2-6400 (400 Mhz)
What does that mean? So could I get a DDR2 2GB RAM 800Mhz?
And also any Links to where I could buy one? DDR2 2GB RAM 800Mhz that is.

Back
Top Bottom