Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
Baseband Member
Default Graphics Card needed?

My Girlfriend has a Dell Inspiron 531s

She is running StarCraft 2 at 7FPS

if I put this graphics card ASUS EN210 SILENT/DI/1GD3/V2(LP) GeForce 210 Video Card - 1GB, DDR3, PCI-Express 2.0, DVI, VGA, HDMI, DirectX 10.1, Low Profile, Single-Slot at TigerDirect.com

how much will this improve it?

the guy at tigerdirect said that its not only about the graphics card memory. I just wanna get her FPS up.

Primary:::: CoolerMaster HAF 932 - Chassis | ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 Socket| AMD Athlon II 630 x4 @ 2.8 | 2x @2GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) | ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series 256MB | Win 7 Ultimate x64
Shane198three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
In Runtime
Default Re: Graphics Card needed?

im not the best at this stuff but if it has on board graphics that has to at least bump it up to 20-30 i would think on low graphics. but, im not the most knowledgeable so dont hold me on it. think of this reply as a bump.

IknowLITTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

I can't find a specific spec (there are several it seems) for the 531s. Could you list the full spec? Cpu model and speed, Ram speed/type and amount etc.

If she's only running a gig or so RAM and an Athlon 64, then the card probably won't help much.

Looking around on Dell's site a little, i found a specific range of specs for 531's. It says that they range in installed RAM from 512MB to 1GB - you might need to do a memory upgrade as well, to get much of a framerate improvement.

IT also lists the processor as either an Athlon 64, Athlon 64 X2 or Sempron. If it's the Athlon 64 or Sempron, you might have trouble getting much of an improvement from other upgrades, but the Athlon 64 X2 should be perfectly capable of running SCII in my mind.

So yeah, whether or not it would make much of a difference depends on what you can tell me about the rest of her system. ^_^
EVGA SLI Micro Z68 // Intel i5-2500k // 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz // Overclocked 2GB MSI R9 270X // Corsair Carbide SPEC-03 // Kingston Hyper-X 120GB // 2TB WD Green + 500GB WD Black
~Darkseeker~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
Baseband Member

you should've really posted the spec of that computer.
If the spec is any similar to this
Dell Inspiron 531 Specs - Desktops - CNET Reviews
(See? making everyone who want to help you go through more trouble...)
graphic card will help a bit,
but all the spec is really BARELY above SC2 minimum system requirements.
So if you upgrade the GPU, you will see a slight increase in performance, but before it can do all it can,
you will be bottlenecked by your CPU or RAM.

bottom line, that computer just isn't very good for playing SC2.
thiefraccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #5
Solid State Member

Frame rate depends on more than just the display card. It is likely that if the card you are looking at now is better than the current that you will gain a little frame rate. Though if other hardware is far from the speeds of the new display card, then you will not get out as much as the card could actually do.
Sefrotox is offline   Reply With Quote