Graphics card or monitor causing trouble?

QUiksilver_2007

Beta member
OK here's the thing. I have Windows XP Home on my newly acquired computer (the machine itself is a few years old) I /just/ got it, so I really don't know much about it, and I'm too lazy to find out just now. You can post to ask me any relevent questions, because I don't really know what is relevent for video things....

Here's my problem. When I booted it yesterday, it has all funnyish colors, the usually green startup bar thinger while it was starting was brown, my start button was bright purple, and everything had a purplish haze to it.

Today when I restated to try to fix the prolem, it got much worse. I now have a red 3/4 circle in the top rihgt corner of my screen, and green in the opposite corner, my start button is now red, my previously silver taskbar is now half green, half silver.

What I am wondering is if the graphics card went all silly while it was being moved around, or if the monitor itself is shot, or if I should just go all the way and replace both. I have already gone through and checked combatibility stuff for my OS and system, and I see that I can do the whole thing for about 150 dollars from newegg, but I'd rather hear someone tell me that there is a solution that won't cost me much money...

Here's what I've tried so far: I've uninstalled and reinstalled the graphics adapter, that didn't do anything, I started in safe mode, which, for a change, didn't help (that has never worked for anything...) and I've opened up the box and checked all teh connections for tightness, all good. These are all ideas I got from other forum posts elsewhere...

Thanks for your help,
Andrew

question number 1. wut kinda moniter are you using. if you are using a CRT moniter then im sure thats the problem

EDIT:and if you are using a LCD moniter, it could quite possibly be ur card.

Meh..I wanted a new monitor too lol...It's a piddly little 15 inch 60hz thinger...but oh well, that's a good bit of money saved...I'd still like a second or 3rd or 200th opinion though, if you don't mind at all.

ok well then ur screwed cause as you told me on aim, you were laying it on its glass face, and or side, either way it has 3 color tubes in it, and wut you did is screwed up the gel inside the color tubes. i have no idea wut exactly happens and im not even sure if its fixable. but eather way get a new moniter. and please someone else correct me if im wrong because i dont wanna make him buy one, and then thats not the problem. here are some really nice, and affordable moniters- 17'' LCD
http://www.targetpcinc.com/Details.asp?ItemID=2633
http://www.targetpcinc.com/Details.asp?ItemID=2991
18" CRT
http://www.targetpcinc.com/Details.asp?ItemID=2495 this is the one that i would personally go with.

I would say thats the problem....do you have another monitor that you could test it with? maybe borrow one from a friend if you don't? I would do that first to make sure thats the problem.

Back
Top Bottom