Graphics Card Help Nvidia or ATI - I Cant Decide!

DontlaughImNew

Solid State Member
I'm building a new computer and the only thing I am undecided in is the graphics card.

I originally intended to go with an XFX 9800gt but from reading reviews it seems id be better to switch sides and go with either the HD 4830 or the 4850 if I didn't mind spending that little extra.

So really I want to know if I really am better off going with the ATI cards, and if paying that little extra is worth getting the HD 4850.

Also on a side note the motherboard i was getting (Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L) will this work just as well with the HD 4830/4850? Or can you guys suggest a better one for roughly the same price.:D

What is the maximum you can afford to spend on a card? What type of games do you play?

What is the maximum you can afford to spend on a card? What type of games do you play?
I guess the 4850 is really at the maximum I am willing to pay, its hard to say what the exact range im looking at as parts over here are so much more expensive than in the US... The cheapest 4850 i can find is $299 which works out to be 228 USD, so id rather not spend anymore than that.

At the moment i don't really play any games as this will be my first build and my first computer that can actually play any games, but definitely games like Crysis, COD4 and Far Cry 2 etc...

Oh sorry i think i phrased my answer wrong, i meant that i pay around
$228 USD for what it would cost you about $160 USD so around $160 USD is my price range

It runs as fast as it's higher end model, which costs around $450 and up.
GTX 280 has 240 stream processors. 80 TMUs and 32 ROPs, GTX 260 (216) has 216 stream processors, 72 TMUs and 28 ROPs.

@ OP, it depends what games you want to play and what your monitor's native res is, no point in paying for a HD 4870 X2 when you have a 19".

I'm building a new computer and the only thing I am undecided in is the graphics card.

I originally intended to go with an XFX 9800gt but from reading reviews it seems id be better to switch sides and go with either the HD 4830 or the 4850 if I didn't mind spending that little extra.

So really I want to know if I really am better off going with the ATI cards, and if paying that little extra is worth getting the HD 4850.

Also on a side note the motherboard i was getting (Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L) will this work just as well with the HD 4830/4850? Or can you guys suggest a better one for roughly the same price.:D

this site might be able to help you out ;) http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=450771
Have in mind that the article is pretty old (January 2008) but it does contain valuable stuff ;)

GTX 280 has 240 stream processors. 80 TMUs and 32 ROPs, GTX 260 (216) has 216 stream processors, 72 TMUs and 28 ROPs.

@ OP, it depends what games you want to play and what your monitor's native res is, no point in paying for a HD 4870 X2 when you have a 19".

The superclocked edition runs as fast as or a big faster than the basic GTX 280 at some resolutions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcvGXPaQg-8
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...e-216-216-sp-superclocked-edition-review.html

Back
Top Bottom