Graphics card heat

error75

Baseband Member
Will running two graphics cards in an SLI mode (think that's the one where the cards share the workload) reduce the heat, preventing the cards from running hot as I've read some cards do. Or will it just add to the ambient heat in the computer.
I figure them sharing the workload would mean less stress...less heat.

2 video cards , 2 x as much heat ,
if you have ventilation in your case it wont matter thoe

Shouldn't really be a big problem unless ambient temperatures are already a worry for you. As cryman stated, if your temps are okay now and ventilation is alright, you shouldn't really worry.

The way you were thinking of it, it seems, is that in buying 2 cards, you were effectively still having only one, because you'd get half the heat from each card, and so wouldn't be using all the performance of the two cards. That would be a useless proposition.
It just uses the 2 cards to spread the workload, but they still end up working as hard as each other, because either one card wouldn't push the whole scene on its own anyway, OR, if one card could, the second card just doubles the load, and produces more Frames Per Second.

I've seen some tips for keeping the heat down on a SLI system. I don't have the thread saved though. I believe it was a rather simple fix though. Check and see but I believe it was a 80mm fan fits right in between cards in SLI. So what you do is mount the fan there and use wire ties to secure it between the cards then get a few vented backplates to push the air out of the case.

Make sure you have good airflow in your case. If you have twin 120mm fans (one front intake and one rear exhaust) then you should be fine. Maybe add a side fan blowing at the cards.

Back
Top Bottom