Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-09-2011, 11:09 AM   #21
In Runtime

Default Re: Graphics card going bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonSGKing View Post
That's very true, but I was thinking maybe CoD was the only game he played that pushed his hardware that hard. Maybe we're looking at the wrong suspect here though? I know CoD: BO is VERY CPU intensive, maybe that's the culprit?
He said that he benched the card too for 7+ hours and that didn't come up with any problems at all, so it isn't to do with how hard the hardware is pushed, as badly coded as BO is, it won't cause as much stress to components as benchmarking will.

Also, I have to +1 the CPU thing. Check that your overclock is stable, run prime 95 for half an hour or so and see if you BSOD if you haven't done already. I'm going to guess you probably have, but can't hurt. The overclock is just putting even more strain on that POS PSU too, which isn't exactly a good idea either...

Primary::: Asus M4A79XTD EVO | AMD Phenom II x3 720BE @ 3.4GHz | 2 x 2GB Corsair 1600MHz | XFX HD5770 + eVGA GTX260 Physx | 500GB Samsung F3 + 520GB Storage | Corsair Obsidian 700D | Win 7 Ultimate x64
Secondary::: Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus | Intel Q6600 | 2 x 1GB Corsair 800MHz | Gigabyte 9800GT | 180GB Caviar Blue + 250GB Storage | Win 7 Ultimate x64
Aastii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #22
Daemon Poster

Yeah right now the overclock is @ 3.4ghz from 3.0 and even @ 3.6 ghz I ran prime 95 for almost 30 minutes and it was fine

I'm too scared to turn the graphics back down to low =\

Old 01-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #23
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aastii View Post
He said that he benched the card too for 7+ hours and that didn't come up with any problems at all, so it isn't to do with how hard the hardware is pushed, as badly coded as BO is, it won't cause as much stress to components as benchmarking will.

Also, I have to +1 the CPU thing. Check that your overclock is stable, run prime 95 for half an hour or so and see if you BSOD if you haven't done already. I'm going to guess you probably have, but can't hurt. The overclock is just putting even more strain on that POS PSU too, which isn't exactly a good idea either...
True on the PSU, I hadn't thought of that. I would recommend using Intel Burn Test as a stress test though, it doesn't need to run for nearly as long
Old 01-10-2011, 02:15 AM   #24
Daemon Poster

I'll run intel burn test in a minute but I've been playing for a little over a hour today and haven't had any problems... settings on low = bsod, settings on anything else = perfectly fine......... Um... lol

Ran the test and it was stable lol so I upped it to 3.5ghz stable heh
can't get it up to 3.8 though... full load temp is only 50c but crash.. Don't feel like messing with the voltage much more
Old 01-10-2011, 06:14 AM   #25
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Is it just happening in Black ops? If so, then I assume it's black ops fault.

I think I ran into this little problem a while back. I was playing normally on the summit map. Then out of nowhere, the floor on the middle building became black. Nothing else went black, only the ground of the middle building. I stopped playing for a few hours, and never happened again.
Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Teny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:24 AM   #26
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teny View Post
Is it just happening in Black ops? If so, then I assume it's black ops fault.

I think I ran into this little problem a while back. I was playing normally on the summit map. Then out of nowhere, the floor on the middle building became black. Nothing else went black, only the ground of the middle building. I stopped playing for a few hours, and never happened again.
Yeah it just happened with black ops and only on low settings. When it happened the floor on cracked in the middle building had went black and then I saw a guy from the spy plane so I prefired him and when he came around he was black then BAM BSOD...
Old 01-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #27
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonSGKing View Post
Sounds to me like your video card is overheating. Those are very high temps.
Load temps for a 3850, those are quite normal.

30 minutes with prime is nothing. To get anything out of prime, you have to run it for a long time. 5+ hours to get true stability testing.

Since your system is dying when you're gaming and not during CPU testing, it's not too hard to draw conclusions here.

If your power supply weighs less than a moderately priced toaster, it's of low quality. For the record, Logisys won't ever come near my computer. Such horrid quality power supplies. Get yourself an Antec Earth watts or a Corsair post haste before you kill everything in your system.

Never ever skimp out on the power supply.

Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote