Graphics Card compatibility with Motherboard

pzykojozh

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I'm working on a build, and I'm trying my best to buy it piece-by-piece with whatever parts are compatible with my system as it is.

Here are my specs:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz
GPU: 2x NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT SLI
Motherboard: ASUS P5N-D
RAM: 8GB DDR2

Weak, yes, I know. That's why I'm performing a massive upgrade.

These are the parts I'm getting:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz
GPU: Radeon HD 6870 1GB
Motherboard: MSI 890FXA-GD70
RAM: G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600MHz

My question is if I can replace my 9600GTs with the Raedon HD 6870 without changing my motherboard and processor.
I'm fairly certain that it will work, but I don't want to jump into it without being absolutely sure.

Thanks a lot,
Josh

Yes, not a problem as the ASUS P5N-D has PCI-E 2.0 16 lane. Although, for a little more money I would suggest setting up two GeForce GTX460 cards in SLI.

Yes, not a problem as the ASUS P5N-D has PCI-E 2.0 16 lane. Although, for a little more money I would suggest setting up two GeForce GTX460 cards in SLI.

The problem there is that it would add at least $120 of money that I already don't have.
Trying to budget this as well as I can.

It would work no problem. You can try selling some of your current parts do add money to the build if you're looking to get better components.

It would work no problem. You can try selling some of your current parts do add money to the build if you're looking to get better components.

It works. I'm just having massive problems with the display drivers and such getting uninstall at reboot. I've completed a long over due Windows and BIOS update which I hope helps. Haven't rebooted after the BIOS update, so I'll find out tomorrow.

I have two GeForce 9600GT's sitting in a box right now, in good working condition. I just don't know where exactly to look to sell it, or if there'd be any interest in it.
I need to raise approx $700 for the rest of the build, which I plan to work for over the summer, but getting some money for my spare parts would help a lot.
My old case is also sitting around in basically perfect condition. Blue LED fans and temp measure on the front. Great case.
If someone could point me to where I could possibly look to sell this stuff, it would be a huge help.

You can try to sell it on the For Sale/For Trade section of this website. Or you could try eBay or CraigsList.

Thanks for the suggestions and the help, but what do you think I could sell my 9600GT's for?
I can't seem to find my exact model online.. the back has a picture of some sort of ninja dude, and "Overclock" on it.
It's from inno3D and I found many similar ones on their site, but not my exact one.
The tag reads: GF-9600-GT-DUAL-DVI-HDTV-HDCP-DDR3-512MB

Back
Top Bottom