Graphics card any good?

emperor76

In Runtime
Hi, I've been drooling over new graphics cards (not literally of course). But I'm building my step daughter a computer soon and since she doesn't play really demanding games, I was going to put my current one in there. I have limited knowledge regarding them, but to me this looks good and is about the max I could spend and will depend on an overtime shift popping up after holiday, is this any good for the price? http://www.cclonline.com/product/106...-Card/VGA0966/ would I get more for the same price with a Radeon? do my current components make a difference to the card I pick?

Links not working for me. Perhaps post model number?

What are the specs of your daughters computer going to be other than GPU?
What is you max price for your new GPU?
A few examples of the games she plays would really help find the best solution?

Once we have some more info, it will be easier to help.

Links not working for me. Perhaps post model number?

What are the specs of your daughters computer going to be other than GPU?
What is you max price for your new GPU?
A few examples of the games she plays would really help find the best solution?

Once we have some more info, it will be easier to help.

I was considering putting i3 or Athlon x2 in, not a particularly powerful psu, a cheapish case, but with okay cooing. 3-4gb memory, obviously the motherboard's dependent on the cpu, which ever is good value really.

As for the Graphics card, the one I was looking at for my computer was
Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Graphics Card, it's £150

with free Batman Ark Origins, no idea if it's any good

Last edited:
Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Graphics Card, it's £150
The fact it didnt quote Memory type, i looked into the manufacturer, its only DDR5 memory, for better performance i would go with GDDR5, now theres not a huge difference in performance, but i would strongly recommend this one:
EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SC 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

EVGA are one of the best nVidia manufacturers.

with free Batman Ark Origins, no idea if it's any good
First two games where great, so i have no doubt that will be. I am yet to buy yet, money a bit tight this month.

Do go for the i3 over the X2. The i3 are excellent dual core CPU. Worth the money.

Do go for the i3 over the X2. The i3 are excellent dual core CPU. Worth the money.

I do have a laptop with the i3 2310m, it struggles with sims 3, but I think that's probably the graphics, runs civ 4 well. Main reason I'm after something like that is because the extent of her gaming goes to minecraft and roblox so don't want to go too mad. My previous desktop had the Athlon 4600+ x2 which I think at the time was quite a good one. But yeah, with you on the i series, I wish I had gone intel on my desktop now instead of blindly buying a 1090T. The main reason I want to upgrade my graphics is because Skyrim only just manages about medium graphics, and even that seems slightly jerky.

Last edited:
The fact it didnt quote Memory type, i looked into the manufacturer, its only DDR5 memory, for better performance i would go with GDDR5, now theres not a huge difference in performance, but i would strongly recommend this one:
EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SC 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

EVGA are one of the best nVidia manufacturers.

First two games where great, so i have no doubt that will be. I am yet to buy yet, money a bit tight this month.

Thanks, I didn't actually no there's a difference between DDR5 and GDDR5, but I'll take your word for that. I think I'm going to have to do a bit of learning regarding graphics cards. Now just torn between that one and the radeon 7870 I've had suggested. I've yet to play any of the Batman's, I usually play civ, skyrim, other RPG's, sometimes flight sim's, and getting round to getting a racing sim if there are any good one's on the PC, but for free it's surely worth giving it a go

Back
Top Bottom