Graphics card?

rickster30

Beta member
Hi,

I have decided to upgrade my desktop, it's old (10 yrs?) but is still going strong. Anyway as I said I am upgrading it, the motherboard is an asus P4s8x, Pentium 4 dual core, the current graphics card is an Nvidia GeForce mx440. I am doing this as it's cheaper than buying new, which I cannot afford, and as it works ok why not give it a slightly new lease of life. What I need to know is what graphics cards could I put in it, bearing in mind it only has PCI, and agp ports, NOT PCIe, current card is poor and I am hoping I can get a better one?? Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
There are some Radeon HD 4670's on a popular auction site for relatively cheap.

I have looked at that but it states it's a pci-e connection, I only have pci, and agp connections, having researched a bit more the agp would be the better connection, some advice as to a good agp graphics card, under £80 would be good :)

AGP cards aren't made anymore as they so obsolete. I have two old desktops with AGP slots and only one will fit a card and the other I have to be put everything a new case. I'd wait a bit and save your money to make a new computer that you can very cheaply and recycle old parts such as your hard drive.

Do not upgrade that, you're risking money, if you want a cheap deal, I suggest buying a second hand mobo (returns on ebay) new cheap cpu (£30-40) and a cheap decent g'card (£50-£80) and then from then buy the other bits and bats, memory, hdd, case, mouse k,bored, dvd drives and such, a good solid computer now a days cost me £150-£200 to build and that includes a 19 inch flat screen monitor hdmi.

Ebay is a great place to start, always used ebay to build and repair systems.

You'll be able to do more things and be able to game, with an old system like yours you will have bad fps, some games won't play, unless you want it for wolfenstien or an old game then chuck in a new g'card.

Back
Top Bottom