Which graphics card?

newbie1323

Baseband Member
hi, ive seen a PNY geforce 8800gt 256 mb for £47 or a BFG geforce 8800gt 512mb overclocked with lifetime warranty for £100. if i buy 2 of the PNY ones and sli them will it give me better results than the BFG?

thanks

Don't go with the 256MB varations of the 8800GT. Not only is is seriously limited by that lack of VRAM (much more so than the HD 3850 256MB), but it also uses cheaper, slower modules. The 256MB card literally takes a nosedive going up the resolutions or with filters enabled.

I would go with the 512MB for than price or the HD 4850 if you can find it for only a little more.

yeah, dont go with the 256mb of the 8800GT, i think they might be with the old cores which results in being slower than the newer ones.
when looking for an 8800GT, look for one that says PCI-E 2.0, which contains the new cores.
the 4850 seems good, but in the US, the 4850 costs about $50 more than the lowest 8800GT. I dont really think its worth the $50 difference yet.
i dont like the 4850 for less than $175 because of the coolers, but thats a personal preference.

8800GT G0 never existed, you're thinking of the 8800GTS 320MB/640MB. 8800GT 256MB/512MB are both G92.

ah...
guess i shouldve researched the 8800 series more back then....
I think i was an ATI fanboy back then because i didnt want to spend much on a graphics card, and nVidia cards seem to cost so much...

ah...
guess i shouldve researched the 8800 series more back then....
I think i was an ATI fanboy back then because i didnt want to spend much on a graphics card, and nVidia cards seem to cost so much...

That dosent make you a fanboy---- its when you dont give another company a chance and trashtalk them no matter what, makes you a fanboy.

Nothing wrong with buying a card that suits your budget.

That dosent make you a fanboy---- its when you dont give another company a chance and trashtalk them no matter what, makes you a fanboy.

Nothing wrong with buying a card that suits your budget.

i think i was bad mouthing about nvidia, and that ati had better cards, but that was kind of because i didnt know which cards where high end/budget/low end, and i compared my cards to the budget/low end when i got an high end card.

Back
Top Bottom