Graphic Card Error

Does everything work OK if you use the on-board video adapter? (I notice that your motherboard has onboard video.)

Also, forgive me if I missed this before, did the add on video card work before?

Do you mean to take out the video card to see what happens? I was going to do that today then re-boot and see how many beeps I get.

I bought this as a kit and put it together myself, my first one. I'm almost sure it worked great until I installed Vista updates but not 100% sure. So it is possible I never got it to work correctly.

I removed the Graphic Card and didn't get the 2 beeps, only the long POST beep.

It's definetely a graphic card problem. I would think it is a driver problem, not a bad graphic card, but I can't seem to load the right drivers. Is any software available to help me diagnose this?

Thanks for any help.
Larisa

When you removed the add on video card did you have your monitor plugged into the onboard video output? Did it work? The manual for your motherboard shows a DVI port on the motherboard. If your monitor works with that, then you could assume that the only hardware with a problem is the add on video card.

If your add on video card is bad you could use the onboard video until you got the problem with the add on card resolved. Is there a warranty on the card?

When you removed the add on video card did you have your monitor plugged into the onboard video output? Did it work? The manual for your motherboard shows a DVI port on the motherboard. If your monitor works with that, then you could assume that the only hardware with a problem is the add on video card.

If your add on video card is bad you could use the onboard video until you got the problem with the add on card resolved. Is there a warranty on the card?

No I didn't have the moniter pluged to the mobo but I didn't get the 2 beeps.

I can't find an adapter for the DVI mobo port. This port doesn't have the 4 pins around the slotted pin like all the other ones I find. I got 3 adapters with the mobo but none of them work. What if I plug it into the VGA Video receptacle, same as the DVI?

Yes it has a warrenty for about another week.

No I didn't have the moniter pluged to the mobo but I didn't get the 2 beeps.

Okay, so that means it's probably a video card problem, which is good since we've pinpointed it. Drivers would have nothing to do with it since it's beeping at boot-up. It would be a driver issue if it was an issue within Windows.

What if I plug it into the VGA Video receptacle, same as the DVI?

Yup. If you have VGA and DVI on your motherboard, either/or is fine. Give it a go with out the video card and let us know if it boots up. If you get a black screen with no video card in, you may have to reset the BIOS by pulling the battery out and leaving it out for a few minutes to clear the CMOS so that your computer goes back to sending the video signal through the MB and not through the video card.

Let us know how it goes!

Thanks Dude. 3 days left on the warrenty.

So unplug the graphics card, plug the monitor into the VGA video port, and see if I get 2 beeps? If I don't then the card is bad? If I do then I'm back to square 1?

Where is the battery located?

Thanks for the help!

Kisses - Larisa

Yup. If you have VGA and DVI on your motherboard, either/or is fine. Give it a go with out the video card and let us know if it boots up. If you get a black screen with no video card in, you may have to reset the BIOS by pulling the battery out and leaving it out for a few minutes to clear the CMOS so that your computer goes back to sending the video signal through the MB and not through the video card.

Her motherboard only has DVI, but take a look at the pins on the DVI port.

Motherboard images

A little different than I have seen. I was figuring that the motherboard video would do until the video card was replaced under warranty.

So I should probably send the card back?

I think so, it is looking like the card has a problem. I would call the vendor, or email about sending it back. Let them know what you found.

Is your monitor using DVI? I see how the DVI port on your motherboard is a little different that some. I take it you can't plug into the motherboard port because of the difference?

Her motherboard only has DVI, but take a look at the pins on the DVI port.

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K9N2_SLI_Platinum&class=mb

A little different than I have seen. I was figuring that the motherboard video would do until the video card was replaced under warranty.

I stand corrected. She stated that she had VGA, so that's what I assumed. Honest mistake on her part and mine.

Before you send it back, just pop it back in one last time. You never know, it could've been a seating issue. If it still beeps at you, then yes, I would RMA it.

Okay I'll send it back.

No, my monitor has a VGA Video port and no DVI port.

Yes I can't plug my monitor in because of the difference in pin configuration. Maybe it's proprietary and I can get an adapter from MSI?

I did take it out and re-seat it, same problem.

Maybe you can recommend a different graphics card?

Thanks guys!

More kisses!

Back
Top Bottom