Graphic Card Error

It could be both, but the BIOS's beeping codes are definitely not related to a virus, it's far too low level.

Long shot, but do you know the make of your motherboard? This should help diagnose what the beeps actually mean for sure...

No I haven't run memtest yet. I will try using USB stick drive when I get home.

Here are the specs:

MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Socket AM2 CPU

Corsair XMS2 4GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory

XFX GeForce 9600 GSO 768MB PCIe Video Card

WD Caviar 500GB Serial ATA HD 7200/8MB/SATA-3G

Apex PC-389 ATX Black Mid Tower Case

ULTRA LS600 600W ATX POWER SUPPLY

Samsung 22X DVDRW SATA OEM

I can't get MemTest to work. I'm ready to delete everything off the hard drive and start over. I know this won't tell me if it is a memory problem but it might solve the problem. I didn't have this problem until some vista updates were installed. I remember you use to be able to delete installed updates but I don't see any where to do this now.

What do you think?

I now get the long POST beep and then I get 3 short beeps, yesterday I was getting 2 short beeps. I changed nothing!

I think I should uninstall everything and start over. I didn't have this problem until Vista updates were installed.

What do you think?

Okay, I couldn't get MemTest to work but I did get something caslled 7-Zip to work. It said I have a driver problem with the graphics card which is what I thought the original problem was. I uninstalled and installed the drivers many times. From the disc included with the video card and from the web site and all combinations. I guess I need to try again until I get it right.

Wish me luck!

At the XFX site for your video display adapter, do they list more than one driver? An older driver version that you could try maybe? I checked out the site but didn't want to do the whole registration thing.

make sure the drivers ur using are compliant with your OS? Like, make sure that u are using the 32bit or 64 bit drivers for ur OS?

Just a thought

Does everything work OK if you use the on-board video adapter? (I notice that your motherboard has onboard video.)

Also, forgive me if I missed this before, did the add on video card work before?

Back
Top Bottom