Grahpics Card Installation.

dorfman

In Runtime
So, recently i bought at BFG NVIDIA Gefore 6200 OC.

I know its a weak card, but it was for my dad who plays weak games..

So, we put the card in, and it goes to windows, then we put the CD in, then we install the drivers, from the CD. The screen goes black after a few moments... so after 10 minutes we decided to shut the computer off, and start again. Now, windows relizes the card is there, before windows boots up, then it goes to the XP, loading screen...then blank..after that screen. Like it, acts like it is going to start windows, but it doesn't the moniter goes black, but windows starts up on the computer, you can hear the chime through the speakers..

my dad's computer is a Compaq, an older one with, Intel intergrated graphics something like 84845G or something. So, when we plug the moniter into the motherboard, it loads up fine, and everything works, so thinking it was a driver problem, the drivers didn't install right, I installed the drivers, then plug the monitor back into the card after the shut down, with no advail.

Any suggestions?

Well there are probably onboard video drivers that are installed as well. If you did not uninstall those first then conflicts can arise (although judging by the issues you are having this does not really sound like the problem). It might also be a power issue because I don't think compaqs come with a whole lot of extra power in the PSU's for additional hardware (the reason being to cut costs when they are built). IDK, other than those two things your situation kinda has me stumped. I'm not entirely sure what the source of the problem is.

Ð88 said:
Well there are probably onboard video drivers that are installed as well. If you did not uninstall those first then conflicts can arise (although judging by the issues you are having this does not really sound like the problem). It might also be a power issue because I don't think compaqs come with a whole lot of extra power in the PSU's for additional hardware (the reason being to cut costs when they are built). IDK, other than those two things your situation kinda has me stumped. I'm not entirely sure what the source of the problem is.
yeah you need to uninstall the integrated graphics, probably 'intel extreme graphics driver 2.0' or something like that. then put the gpu back in and install the drivers. i doubt it's the psu because the 6200 is definitely not a power hungry card.

go to add/remove programs and you should see some gfx driver. to find out what this driver is. go to control panel>system>hardware tab>device manager>display adapters.

kchi55 said:
i doubt it's the psu because the 6200 is definitely not a power hungry card.

i know i was thinking the same thing but who knows what sort of PSU they are giving you with a compaq. hopefully just drivers then...

Like mentioned above uninstall the intergrated drivers

then Disable the onboard video in BIOS, Select AGP to be the Primary adapter slot.

go to www.nvidia.com and download the latest drivers for your video card.

Report back to us

:D

Back
Top Bottom