GR. i've HAD it with this.

~Darkseeker~

Fully Optimized
right, here's my ongoing problem. Never in the history of this PC have i managed to get a SATA DVD drive to work. I've gone through two, an LG and now a Samsung and neither are working properly.

for a few disks, it tells me there is nothing in the drive, when there definately is (this happened with BFBC2 and now Resident Evil 5).

it also refuses to boot from the SATA drives, meaning i had to install Windows using an IDE drive.

when they do work, they are fairly slow and unresponsive, taking up to 30 seconds to read a regular DVD (my macbook does it in under 10 secs usually). It also freezes Windows explorer if i go into 'Computer' while it's reading.

I've got an IDE DVD drive that works fine for everything, other than the fact that it's IDE and old, and i;ve got a reasonably high spec PC, i want a faster damn DVD drive.

any ideas?

also, the DVD drive im currently using is Samsung 22x Internal DVD-RW SATA Drive with Interc - Misco.co.uk.

Test another board if you can. You don't have to swap anything but placing the drive in another system if you can. If it works without a problem there, you know that it is your motherboard at fault, if it has the same issue over at the other system, then you know that for the second time, you have been unlucky and been given a faulty optical drive

will do, but the weird thing is..

my hard drives and my DVD drive are all on SATA, and the HDDs work fine (well, fine enough to get a 5.4 WEI rating) but the DVD refuses to read.

the drivers for the LG and the Samsung seemed crap tbh, could that be a reason?

WEI is a pathetic excuse for a benchmark by the way.

But as your drives are working, it isn't necessarily the SATA ports that are at fault, it could be a software issue where by your BIOS doesn't like optical drives for some reason. It is a pretty far fetched theory, but it is more than possible, and stranger things have been known

Oh, and you shouldn't ever need drivers for an optical device, unless they are for lightscribe or some other "extra". All are plug and play as they are the default device

GRR.

went into BIOS and disabled my IDE DVD drive, set the SATA dvd drive as primary and put it in the boot chain.

eureka, it would let me boot from it. Cancel -> return to OS.

put in RE5 -> autoplays (really slowly though)

weird clicking sound -> cancel install

check disk, put it back in, try again.

THERES NO DISK IN DRIVE FOO'! eventhough there definately it.

i'm a big lad, this thing makes me want to cry.

Have you tried adjusting the settings for the SATA port your DVD drive is plugged into? Legacy mode is usually a good failsafe if no other settings work. Especially if the default SATA port setting is a RAID enabled setting. Good luck, though. I know how frustrating it can be when all logic says something should work, yet it doesn't.

im considering a bios upgrade right now, im not sure but i've got a feeling this BIOS is old, mainly because of how limited it is. So limited infact, its hard to find a version code on it.

Disable stert up logo if you can, it will be an option in the BIOS boot settings, else there may be an option such as show post message. This should be enabled. You will get the white writing on the black screen showing the full POST sequence, and it should say, either at the top or bottom of the page, your BIOS version.

Should that not work, CPUz will tell you under the mainboard tab. You can download it from here:

CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting

I would say though that any BIOS should be picking up your drive, and if it can find it AND boot from it, then that is not your issue.

Assuming you are running Vista or 7:

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

PC Hell: How to Fix Error Code 39 with DVD or CD-ROM drive in Windows XP/Vista

sounds to me the drive may be faulty, that clicking sound is the lens trying to focus. it could be out of alinement or dirty.

Back
Top Bottom