GPU question :)

Kreyze

Beta member
Hey everyone, this is my first post, I built my first gaming pc 2 months ago and I was wondering what should I do in order to upgrade my GPU performance, should I go with SLI GeForce GTX 670's (I currently only have one OC version) or should I save up more and buy one single more powerful card? I play on a 24 inch screen and I don't like to have my FPS go lower than 60, I usually play the latest games at ultra settings...

Specs
ASUS Sabertooth z77
Intel Core i7-3770K Quad Core
GeForce GTX 670 OC
Gaming Tower

Oh and I was also wondering if you guys have any good CPU coolers to suggest that would fit my motherboard, thanks a lot in advance!

in your case (already having an up to date good gaming card from nvidia's current series) i would go for another 670 to put in SLI.

i good cooler for a high end system would be something like the Hydra H80 - H100.
For air cooling take a look at the Noctua NH-D14. it's one of the best performing air coolers on the market.

in your case (already having an up to date good gaming card from nvidia's current series) i would go for another 670 to put in SLI.

i good cooler for a high end system would be something like the Hydra H80 - H100.
For air cooling take a look at the Noctua NH-D14. it's one of the best performing air coolers on the market.

cool thanks a lot!

It probably would be best to leave it alone until it slows down, then replace GPU. Buying another card to SLI may be slower than just waiting a couple of generations and buying a new, single faster card.

ie I had a X1900XT. Buying another X1900XT to Crossfire would have been slower than a single faster card. Plus use more power, lots of heat, and noisy.

I would also recommend replacing stock coolers, don't spend too much just try and make it quieter and cooler running.

i get what you are saying about more power use, heat and noise production, but if he is not satisfied with the performance, then buying another 670 will perform better then a single 770 (when it arrives) it has been like that in the hole GTX series.
2x 470 will beat a single 570. 2x 275 (or 270 for that matter) will beat a single 470.

he could wait to get the 770, but it will properly cost the same as getting an extra 670 now and the performance will be better.
ofcause heat noise and power use is always a concern when going SLI. also multiple GPU compatibility in games.
some games will perform better then others in SLI, but most modern game engines takers good advantage of multiple GPUs

i get what you are saying about more power use, heat and noise production, but if he is not satisfied with the performance, then buying another 670 will perform better then a single 770 (when it arrives) it has been like that in the hole GTX series.
2x 470 will beat a single 570. 2x 275 (or 270 for that matter) will beat a single 470.

he could wait to get the 770, but it will properly cost the same as getting an extra 670 now and the performance will be better.
ofcause heat noise and power use is always a concern when going SLI. also multiple GPU compatibility in games.
some games will perform better then others in SLI, but most modern game engines takers good advantage of multiple GPUs

that's exactly what I was thinking, I really want to be ready for games like GTA 5 and Watch Dogs and etc, I'm a high FPS freak, if my fps is below 55 I don't feel comfortable playing, thanks for the advice!

I'm talking not about changing it every year, more like hold off as long as possible until you get game slowdown, then upgrade. It's not the case where you need to change it every year, due to lack of graphical improvement in game releases. In which case I bet a single card will be faster than SLI/Crossfire from 3 years ago.

You don't need to upgrade as much anymore, most games are ports. Even if you install texture mods, Skyrim for example, play great. Not like as soon as you run 1920x1200 with everything maxed out, with mods and texture it slow down.

A worthwhile upgrade for a computer is a SSD for boot drive. Not too expensive, I'm using a couple of 60GB Corsair M4. Plenty of space, just for OS.

And if you're considering "upgrading" a PC just after two months I think your wallet should be put away, you're just wasting money. Spend it elseware, maybe get a nice sound system.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

"games like GTA 5 "

Not a good idea to buy hardware ready for a game. It could run a total dog, for example GTA 4. I had to wait years before playing it as it was such a sloppy port even a top end machine at the time of release barely ran it.

I remember running it at 800x600 lowest detail and ran like a dog. Yet I could still play other games at 1680x1080 everything maxed out and looking fantastic.

You may find GTA 5 runs at 25fps with your current rig, you just don't know.

as for cooler, using noctura d14. very good.

Last edited:
I'm talking not about changing it every year, more like hold off as long as possible until you get game slowdown, then upgrade. It's not the case where you need to change it every year, due to lack of graphical improvement in game releases. In which case I bet a single card will be faster than SLI/Crossfire from 3 years ago.

You don't need to upgrade as much anymore, most games are ports. Even if you install texture mods, Skyrim for example, play great. Not like as soon as you run 1920x1200 with everything maxed out, with mods and texture it slow down.

A worthwhile upgrade for a computer is a SSD for boot drive. Not too expensive, I'm using a couple of 60GB Corsair M4. Plenty of space, just for OS.

And if you're considering "upgrading" a PC just after two months I think your wallet should be put away, you're just wasting money. Spend it elseware, maybe get a nice sound system.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

"games like GTA 5 "

Not a good idea to buy hardware ready for a game. It could run a total dog, for example GTA 4. I had to wait years before playing it as it was such a sloppy port even a top end machine at the time of release barely ran it.

I remember running it at 800x600 lowest detail and ran like a dog. Yet I could still play other games at 1680x1080 everything maxed out and looking fantastic.

You may find GTA 5 runs at 25fps with your current rig, you just don't know.

as for cooler, using noctura d14. very good.

Thanks a lot for your advice, I ended up getting a second 670 and the H100i watercooler, my rig runs great and I'm fully satisfied :)

Back
Top Bottom