GPU fan

Controlled_

Solid State Member
I have and r9 280x which I've been using for the last few years perfectly, but all of a sudden one of the fan on it stops working. To fix it, I keep having to open the case and give it a spin with my finger to make it start working on its own again. Its the most annoying thing because when it stops working, the other fan operates at like 90% so it gets so loud and my temperatures increase another 20 degrees.

can this be fixed without buying another gpu?

The problem is that the junk plastic bearings have worn. They should be nylon but fans are made cheap. Anyway you could try a drop of thin oil such as sewing machine oil. But when that dissipates the fan will probably stop again. The reason is that the fan spindle is slightly out of alignment because of the wear. You could probably pick up a reasonably cheap replacement fan on Ebay or such just buy the right size.

Very common problem.

I'd quit using the system until you replace the fan because you are going to ruin the GPU with the heat.

Last edited:
I keep cleaning my GTX 480's fan at least once a year so the fan doesn't hold much dust. Dust is bad news.

Not sure if you can find a compatible fan. Heat sink set is what I see around. Try taking it off and maintain it. Maybe there's some dust. Try cleaning it with the appropriate substance. I remember cleaning my car's electrical fan with WD-40 and it did a good job :)

Back
Top Bottom