GPU Bottlenecked?

evanc1411

Beta member
I recently bought a new XFX Radeon HD 6570 graphics card and installed it into my new Asus Essentio CM1730 PC. The computer was fast and great and all, but my graphics card seemed not to be performing as well as I thought it should. I looked at it's Passmark G3D benchmark rating at PassMark - Radeon HD 6570 - Price performance comparison and saw that it was supposed to receive a rating of 862. I ran the PerformanceTest benchmark program and received a G3D rating of only 372 for my Radeon 6570. No matter what settings I changed, what driver version I used, or BIOS settings I selected would boost the score any closer to what it' supposed to get. I checked and realized my PSU had a wattage of 320 and thought that was the problem, seeing how XFX recommends a PSU of at least 450 watts. I bought an old PSU off my friend the next day, which was the stock one that came with his computer (but then upgraded it). It said it had a max wattage of 460W so I thought that would be fine. I installed it and ran performance test again, and my results were exactly the same. I compared my GPU's rating to that of users with the same CPU (AMD Phenom II X6 1065T) and GPU, and saw that they were all receiving a G3D rating of around 900, which was the rating I was supposed to get. Again, I changed all possible Chipset/CPU/PCIe BIOS settings, tried earlier drivers, reset all Catalyst settings to default, checked DXDIAG for hardware acceleration enabled, and some other things. Is there something else that is bottlenecking my Radeon 6570?

I've been trying to solve this problem for a while now and it's getting annoying. I'll list all relevant specs again in the hope to find a solution, or problem at least. Please help! I don't know if i'm going to waste my money or not (or already have...)

Motherboard: ASUSTeK CM1730
Chipset: AMD 760G
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1065T @ 2.9 GHz
PSU: AcBel PC9004 460W (Stock, from my friend's Dell)
GPU: XFX ATI Radeon 6570 HD
GPU Driver Version: 8.920 (Newest)
RAM: 8GB DDR3
BIOS Version: 0601 (Newest)

My biggest suspect so far would be that stock PSU.

Also, please don't focus on drivers, settings, etc. that much. I've already messed around with that for days. I have not really tried any hardware changes except between the 2 stock PSU's I had which made the GPU function exactly the same (below average). Any help is greatly appreciated, and I can post any additional information if needed. Thanks!

EDIT: Here's a video of someone playing GTA IV at 1280x1024 resolution at high settings with my same graphics card. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpg_dIrLMvg When I run GTA IV at the same settings and resolution, it does not perform NEARLY as well. Maybe about 8fps. That's so you know i'm not crazy.

Last edited:
When you're looking at power supplies the overall power does not matter as much as the current running on each rail. The power supply could well be the culprit. You won't quite know for sure until you try something stronger. Keep in mind it could also be a defective item. Your system is powerful enough that it should not be bottlenecking the video card.

quick edit: Try to get your friend to lend you his PSU or install the video card on his system and see if the results change.

Back
Top Bottom