Got a wireless router question...

TheDave82

Beta member
I wasn't sure where to post this so please forgive me if it's in the wrong area...

I'm very new to these forums but hope to contribute some things :)

I have a question...

A buddy of mine lives next door and we are "sharing internet" it's in his name and it runs to his house. I went out and got a net gear USB antenna thing to pick up the signal - dialed in with the password and bingo I'm connected.

My netgear tells me I'm connected and it varies from 2mb to 12mb connection - yet when I download things via cnet.com or whatever else I only get like 10-30kb/ second.

Also when viewing Youtube.com the video is very choppy and takes forever to download!!

Does anyone have a suggestion of something I can try?

I appreciate your help, thanks!!!

They make bigger antenna's for them, you could try that. You are going through two or more walls and some distance, so your signal may not be the best.

well i doubt that makes n e difference at all simply because if u are connected at 2 - 12 mb then that should be fine unless you have a net connection faster than 12mb ?

2 - 12 mb is the speed your wireless antenna is exchanging data with the router not the actual speed of your internet connection.

although you do lose a small amount of bandwidth.

IMO its jus coz of the internet the wireless adapters seem to be doing there job jus fine

Connecting at a speed of 2Mb, your actual download will be much lower. 30KB a second is a realistic download connecting at these speeds over distance and thru walls.

I appreciate your responses -- So there is nothing I can really do?

It was working fine about 2 months ago - even with the same 2 - 12 mb connection on the netgear... Just all depends on the weather I guess? :D

And sorry one more thing - I went and did a speed test on speakeasy or dslreports and I get like 37kb down, but the upload goes to like 300... What's the deal with that?

Back
Top Bottom