Got free parts, want upgrade

So I'm pretty happy because I have recently aqcuired half a computer for free. I am going to sell this Dell I have, I got a good offer ($200 no monitor with keyboard, mouse, speakers). I might have to go $150 but at this point I'm not too worried. Anyways, the computer I got is Gateway GT5032. The specs are linked here

Unfortunately, some pieces are missing, they are the following:
-HDD
-PSU
-Video Card
-1 DVD Drive (The fancy one)
-OS (I have one I can install though)

From my current Dell, I'll be taking a network card to add on this one.

What I'd like to know from you is whether the case is ATX or MATX. I'd also like you to link me a good PSU that is compatible with this system. It has to have PCI-E x16 support. I am willing to spend the full $200 on an HDD, PSU, and Video Card. I also need cables. The SATA cable. I also am interested in a fan controller so I can get more fans in. I'm really happy because this allows me to put off a new build for a while so I can save good money.

If possible, I'd like a modular PSU. The HDD doesn't need to be big, 80+ will be fine. Also, for the video card, doesn't have to be something amazing as I'm going to build a rig later on as most of you know. So I guess in reality, I want best bang for the buck, saving as much as possible, but if necessary I don't mind spending the whole $200.

Thank you for your time.

most store bought desktops are ATX cases, if they are stand-up tower. If you get some of those tiny box systems, its a different setup.
Yours is ATX.

Thank you for answering. I tried the PSU on my Dell (which is stock) and it didn't fit, it was too big, so is this because that PSU is not Standard ATX or what? I don't want to buy a PSU that doesn't fit.

That's a BTX form factor case. The motherboard is a micro BTX Foxconn C51GU01 with an available PCIe slot for a video card. A standard ATX power supply should fit as Gateway uses them in that model.

This is about the lowest cost, quality power supply with the specifications that you want: Antec BP550 Plus 550W - $59.99

Best bang for your buck: Antec Basiq BP500UB 500W - $39.99

For only a few dollars more than an 80GB drive, this will work nicely: HITACHI Deskstar 7K160 160GB - $41.99

Video card: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 3850 - $99.99

Total with Antec Basiq: $181.97

Total with Antec BP550 Plus (modular): $201.97

Thank you Atomic, that looks like what I'm going to go with. I'm going to back up the stuff on this HDD then sell the Dell, by then I hope newegg comes out with some good promo deals. I'll probably go without the Modular, if it were a small difference in price then I'd consider. Thanks again.

The network card is a Gigabit card. Faster than the built in LAN.

edit: Is there a way that I can run the drivers before installing the OS? I'm thinking that it will be necessary. I'll need to install the Network card drivers which I have saved, the video card drivers, and the motherboard drivers.

Oh, I thought there was a way to do it before or something. So everything will still run fine until I install right?

Yup. The OS has the basic drivers to get things up and running. Then you install the latest drivers for maximum performance and usability.

Back
Top Bottom