Is this a good setup?

TeaPartPhil

Beta member
Corsair Obsidian 800d
Intel Processor - [Overclockable] Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz, 3.9GHz Turbo Boost (Quad Core)
Intel Motherboard - ASUS P8Z68-V LX [VGA DVI HDMI] SATA 6Gb/s USB3 {4 DDR3 Slots}
Memory - 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz
Primary Hard Drive - 2TB 5900 RPM
Graphics Card - Nvidia Geforce GTX 680 2GB (Min. 650 Watt Power Supply)
Power Supply - Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 750 Watt 80 Plus Bronze
CPU Cooling - Asetek 550LC High Performance Liquid Cooling

Should I chnage anything so it will last longer before the need to upgrade it? Or is their anything new coming out I should wait for?

Looks good to me. 16GB of RAM is a little insane. I just upgraded from 6 to 8 today, and my computer went from pretty fast to lightning!!

I agree with this, I recently build a desktop very similar to this and I only got 8gb of RAM and I haven't been bottle necked at all by it. Another thing to consider would be an SSD for a boot drive. I have a crucial M4 that I boot and game off of and it's insanely fast.

Generally a higher RPM is better for mechanical, at the absolute minimum I'd say get a 7200rpm drive, or, as above, get an SSD.

I only run on 4GB, and I still find it quick :3

Yea nice specs there mate, However I would recommend buying an SSD (Solid State Drive) maybe 120gb no more or less as you only need to put the operating system on there and other commonly used software!

SSDs slow down after they've written their own capacity, even if its wiped down again.

Unless some miraculous technological improvement has happened.

Last edited:
Yes, but if you are only going to put the operating system on it and only a few types of software that is commonly used.. you will notice a massive gain.

The only bad part with SSDs is that they tend to die quicker as they have a short life span due to the size of the chip etc... so only get an SSD if it will benefit you most.

SSD's may degrade but another factor is how often you're upgrading, annually, every few years, etc.

I would just fork out on an SSD any way, in a few years time they will be a lot cheaper than they are now, plus they can have come down in price over the past few months.

Back
Top Bottom