Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-29-2008, 09:34 AM   #11
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to LukaszR
Default Re: Good Deal?

o vista....
i wouldn't install that OS on a gaming pc...or any pc for that matter unless you will only be using it to browse the web, emails, the odd movie. Vista likes to hog all your performance...and for gaming i don't see how this helps.
personally i would stick with xp...atleast until windows 7 comes out.
Then again, its really all an opinion on the user...

www.Cyber-Talk.ca League of Legends and Gaming Community
LukaszR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:41 PM   #12
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralSnatch View Post

As for OS, I don't even think XP is available to buy anywhere...seems as though I can't just reinstall my XP because it came preinstalled. Vista it is...?
You can buy windows XP from newegg.com. its about $85

Toshiba A135 -Vista Pentium Dual Core 1.6 ghz. 1.5gb ram
www.localtechnet.net - Support me, click the ads!!
Austinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:55 PM   #13
Golden Master

Quote:
i wouldn't install that OS on a gaming pc...or any pc for that matter unless you will only be using it to browse the web, emails, the odd movie. Vista likes to hog all your performance...and for gaming i don't see how this helps.
OMG, you just went to the toilet all over my screen
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:24 PM   #14
Solid State Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinn View Post
You can buy windows XP from newegg.com. its about $85
Wow, I didn't realize Newegg had Os's...they got it all?! If it pertains to electronics, I guess I'll go to Newegg from now on. Thanks for the info.

One thing though, a friend of mine suggested that I get a Case with a PSU in it, due to hassle...

I'm a noob, so any suggestions? Or is it better to buy the Cooler master + Xigamatek?
GeneralSnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:00 PM   #15
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Cabbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukaszr View Post
o vista....
Vista likes to hog all your performance...
No it does not. If you're talking about RAM usage, it buffers things it thinks you are gonna use, meaning programs load quicker. I noticed no difference in gaming performance when I went from XP to Vista, 32-bit and 64-bit.

I would recommend buying a separate PSU, that's one thing you don't want to skimp out on. Look at Antec, Corsair, Enermax, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic.
Cabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:33 PM   #16
Solid State Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbs View Post
No it does not. If you're talking about RAM usage, it buffers things it thinks you are gonna use, meaning programs load quicker. I noticed no difference in gaming performance when I went from XP to Vista, 32-bit and 64-bit.

I would recommend buying a separate PSU, that's one thing you don't want to skimp out on. Look at Antec, Corsair, Enermax, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic.
Well, I'm using the EXACT build as stated above minus 1 video card ( will buy it later ). So if there are any corrections / improvements / price improvements, I'm buying exactly that tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks a bunch for the build and the info. I will be posting pictures of whatever I build when it is all said and done... Can anyone say WOOT for upgrading from 15" CRT to 19" LCD?

If not, how about 70GB to 740GB? Or how about from GeForce MX 440 to PaliT 4850?

So excited about this I can hardly stand it

edit: Also, what about in the way of extra fans? Should I buy anything? I'm trying to get everythin in 1 go since the 'Defer payments for 12 months' deal on Newegg is ending tomorrow. So speedy replies get a cookie.

Please remember I've never build a PC before, so any insider tips about any of the hardware would be really, REALLY appreciated.

GeneralSnatch is offline   Reply With Quote