Is this a good computer?

I would say C2Q are future proof. Definitely not for 5-7 years, though. They should last you a good bit. Since the i7 are still a bit pricey, people are continuing to buy the C2D and the C2Q cpu's. Most people can't even fully utilize a dual, yet alone a quad.

I do have to say, now that the I7 core is out, and was rather fast happening too, that I feel a bit stupid, going for a Q6600 when I did.
That said though, it has speeded up a lot of the processes I do every day, compared to what a Dual Core would have done, but it would have been a cheaper build.
Plus, I doubt I'll upgrade the CPU for a good few years yet, and who knows, maybe AMD will catch up this time :p

The Socket 775 is now offically dead it would seem.

The Q8200 to me seems a bit excessive. Theres no real need to go past a Q6600 for standard use. The higher clocked/unlocked versions of processors, in my opinion are not worth the very high premium.

I'd go for at the most, a Q6600, a pretty good video card (ATI 4870 would be a nice bet), and around 2-4GB's of RAM. That would set you for a good few years, at a budget.

Socket 775 will die when 1336 becomes half the price it is now. It's not about just throwing a new CPU in anymore. Now you have to buy a new motherboard and tri-channel RAM. Which can set you back over 500+ easily.

Back
Top Bottom