Gonna Build My Own Computer? Should I?

nickelodeonn

In Runtime
Hello! I'm 13 and very into technology and I know the basics of lots of hardware, etc. I was looking into a magazine at Borders, and it was about creating your own computer, and how much money you can save. (by buying the parts, and putting it together)

Should I build one? Any suggestions? I need these requirements met:

*everything is compatible
*can play games - not games like Call Of Duty, more like Medieval (not the best graphics)
*Under $650

I see there is a build guide, but I just want your opinion - not a direct link to that thread. Could ya help me out?? Should I just buy a computer? Will I be able to upgrade my computer whenever I want? Does this include the o/s cost?

THANKS I LOVE YOU GUYS! :)

Best bet is going here Newegg And finding a DIY-do it yourself kit and it comes with instructions on what to do for a first timer.

Here are a few that they have for under $600
One
Two
Three-over600
Last one is over $600 but comes with a $45 mail in rebate so at the end it is under $600 and fits your budget and would be good for anything you wanted at the end of the day.

You can build or buy a system. but from my pinyin don't use a windows OS. go with a Linux OS such as Ubuntu. It's free, and it runs more smoothly then Windows. Originally by itself it can't run any Windows apps, but with a program called Wine you can. and it's all free. I suggest you look into it. Just about everyone who I know who learned how to use it fell in love with it.

Hmmm I agree use linux, but after you understand the concept of a computer. Linux is a little more advanced than Xp. If possible use both and dual boot, that's what I do. And Ubuntu and others like Wine and Red Hat are all good free OS. But if you do get a DIY kit I think it comes with a OS. Not quite sure though.

Hmmm I agree use linux, but after you understand the concept of a computer. Linux is a little more advanced than Xp. If possible use both and dual boot, that's what I do. And Ubuntu and others like Wine and Red Hat are all good free OS. But if you do get a DIY kit I think it comes with a OS. Not quite sure though.

Do not use duel boot. if later you choose to uninstall one of the two OS you will be unable to without deleting both OS. if you wanna do duel boot go with a 'virtual machine'. Wubi It will give you the option of Duel Boot at start up, but if you wanna get rid of it later just go to add/remove programs on windows and delete it.

I bought a kit from Tiger Direct. It didn't come with a CPU fan or an operating system. I don't think I saved any money building my own, it was about equal. The nice thing was I didn't it myself, I know what's in it, and I can upgrade/repair myself when or if needed.

Oh, it also didn't come with instructions. I learned everything from You Tube, other Internet sites, and members from this forum ... thanks again guys - Kisses!

It also boots a lot faster because it doen't have all that pre-loaded nonsense software.

Best of luck!

First of, ubuntu is alot like windows XP.
In linux, they have distro's, not Operating systems.
Wine isnt a "OS" or a distro. Wine allows linux distro's to run Windows programs.

Best bet is going here Newegg And finding a DIY-do it yourself kit and it comes with instructions on what to do for a first timer.

Here are a few that they have for under $600
One
Two
Three-over600
Last one is over $600 but comes with a $45 mail in rebate so at the end it is under $600 and fits your budget and would be good for anything you wanted at the end of the day.

Wow!! Thank you very much :D And thanks to everyone else. this is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. Does it come with o/s?

Doesn't seem like it, but as others have said Linux is completely free OS. Give that a try and you can always go back to xp/vista/7 if wanted.

Back
Top Bottom