Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-27-2004, 04:15 PM   #1
Daemon Poster
 
yellowsnowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 559
Send a message via AIM to yellowsnowman
Default Go for a refurb?

Hi I am 13, I know quite alot about computers but still need to know more, I was looking for a computer for myself and my family, I was wondering if I should get a hp pavillion A705-b w/ monitor from walmart.com which is $498. Or should i get a refurbished computer w/o monitor from Tigerdirect.com which is around $398? I will be doing school work but also playing games like warcraft and counterstrike on it.


Also I would like to know if getting a refurbished computer is good to do, and is worth it.
__________________

yellowsnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 05:00 PM   #2
Baseband Member
 
BSOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 68
Default Re: Go for a refurb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnowman
Hi I am 13, I know quite alot about computers but still need to know more, I was looking for a computer for myself and my family, I was wondering if I should get a hp pavillion A705-b w/ monitor from walmart.com which is $498. Or should i get a refurbished computer w/o monitor from Tigerdirect.com which is around $398? I will be doing school work but also playing games like warcraft and counterstrike on it.


Also I would like to know if getting a refurbished computer is good to do, and is worth it.
Personally, i haven't had experience with refurbished computers, so i will let other members of this board answer it, can you put up the specs for my prying eyes?
__________________

BSOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 05:04 PM   #3
Daemon Poster
 
yellowsnowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 559
Send a message via AIM to yellowsnowman
Default Re: Go for a refurb?

The specs of both computers?
yellowsnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 05:23 PM   #4
Daemon Poster
 
yellowsnowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 559
Send a message via AIM to yellowsnowman
Default Re: Go for a refurb?

Here are the specs:
Walmart: ($498.00)
HP Pavilion A705w-b PC (with monitor)
Intel Celeron D Processor 340
(2.93 GHz, 533 FrontSide Bus, 256 KB L2 Cache)
256 MB DDR SDRAM,
CD-RW/DVD combo drive
40 GB hard drive
yellowsnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 05:25 PM   #5
Daemon Poster
 
yellowsnowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 559
Send a message via AIM to yellowsnowman
Default Re: Go for a refurb?

Other specs:
Tiger Direct: ($399.99)
eMachines T3065 AMD Athlon XP 3000+ REFURBISHED
512MB DDR
160GB HDD
DVD-ROM
CD-RW
Windows XP Home
(If I were to get this I would have to buy a monitor also)
yellowsnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 06:22 PM   #6
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 19
Default Re: Go for a refurb?

Go for the eMachines one. Buying a monitor shouldn't be that much hassle.
Wooshku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 06:22 PM   #7
Baseband Member
 
BSOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 68
Default Re: Go for a refurb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnowman
Other specs:
Tiger Direct: ($399.99)
eMachines T3065 AMD Athlon XP 3000+ REFURBISHED
512MB DDR
160GB HDD
DVD-ROM
CD-RW
Windows XP Home
(If I were to get this I would have to buy a monitor also)
This one seems to be better, though someothers might say otherwise. You don't need a new monitor if you want to go cheap, a 17inch CRT would be good. But you said you wanted to game, what is the graphics card? Does it have a AGP slot? If you want to use a budget card that is descent, i recommend asking other members, i had a recommendation from Nvidia, but i forgot the name and guessing won't help
BSOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 06:32 PM   #8
Daemon Poster
 
yellowsnowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 559
Send a message via AIM to yellowsnowman
Default Re: Go for a refurb?

The computer has 1 AGP slot, the graphics card is integrated graphics nVidia nForce 2

Is that enough to play games?
yellowsnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 06:39 PM   #9
Baseband Member
 
BSOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 68
Default Re: Go for a refurb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnowman
The computer has 1 AGP slot, the graphics card is integrated graphics nVidia nForce 2

Is that enough to play games?
Integrated Graphics... recommend putting a graphics card into the AGP slot and installing it. And is the AGP slot a 4X or 8X
BSOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 06:45 PM   #10
Daemon Poster
 
yellowsnowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 559
Send a message via AIM to yellowsnowman
Default Re: Go for a refurb?

Ermm, as I was looking over the site it says:
Graphics Description Integrated Graphics
GPU/VPU nVIDIA nForce 2
Video Interface: VGA

It has an AGP slot, I guess it just doesnt use it.
__________________

yellowsnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0