Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-12-2007, 05:50 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Default Go Canada Go

Quote:
http://torrentfreak.com/canadian-pol...piracy-071110/

The Canadian police announced that it will stop targeting people who download copyrighted material for personal use. Their priority will be to focus on organized crime and copyright theft that affects the health and safety of consumers instead of the cash flow of large corporations.

Canadian Police Tolerates Piracy For Personal Use Around the same time that the CRIA successfully took Demonoid offline, the Canadian police made clear that Demonoid’s users don’t have to worry about getting caught, at least not in Canada.

According to the Canadian police it is impossible to track down everyone who downloads music or movies off the Internet. The police simply does not have the time nor the resources to go after filesharers.

“Piracy for personal use is no longer targeted,” NoŽl St-Hilaire, head of copyright theft investigations of the Canadian police, said in an interview with Le Devoir. “It is too easy to copy these days and we do not know how to stop it,” he added.

St-Hilaire explained that they rather focus on crimes that actually hurt consumers such as copyright violations related to medicine and electrical appliances.

A wise decision, especially since we now know that filesharing has absolutely no impact on music sales. On the contrary, a recent study found that the more music people download on P2P-networks, the more CDs they buy.
Original Article

What can I say??

The US music and film industry just got shafted bigtime, suck on this RIAA

E8600@ 4.25GHz, 1.325V | Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme + Scythe Slipstream 120 | Asus Rampage Extreme| 4GB Corsair 2000MHz 8-8-8-24 @ 1600 6-7-6-24| ASUS 9800GTX| Pioneer 18X SATA DVD-RW | 320GB + 500GB WD SATAII | Antec True Power Trio 650W | Thermaltake Sonata | Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 Ultimate
A True Folder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:52 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to mark thorpe Send a message via Yahoo to mark thorpe
Default Re: Go Canada Go

wish they would do that over here!

mark thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:35 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to FlightSimBoy

I'm moving to Canada!!!!

No, not really. But, hey, its a great move.

Maybe this will make the RIAA step down a little since the CRIA isn't backing them in Canada anymore. File sharing is legal in Canada, therefore if the RIAA decides to sue someone over there, RIAA can be sued by the CRIA for anti-trust. At least I think thats how it works, don't quote me.
My Computer: eMachines T5226 - Intel Pentium D Dual Core @ 3 GHz - Diamond Viper Radeon HD3870 OC Edition with 1 GB GDDR3 VRAM - 4 GB PQi Turbo DDR2-533 RAM - Corsair 650W PSU with 52A on single rail - TSSTcorp DVD-DL+-RW combo drive - Lite-on 52x CD-RW burner - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer - Logitech z5300e speakers - WinFast TV Tuner - Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. eBay name: Flightsimboy304
FlightSimBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:42 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightSimBoy View Post
I'm moving to Canada!!!!

No, not really. But, hey, its a great move.

Maybe this will make the RIAA step down a little since the CRIA isn't backing them in Canada anymore. File sharing is legal in Canada, therefore if the RIAA decides to sue someone over there, RIAA can be sued by the CRIA for anti-trust. At least I think thats how it works, don't quote me.
RIAA is American, cannot sue Canadians.

CRIA is the Canadian equivalent of the RIAA, they hate filesharing. They want to shut down torrents.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:49 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to Istonian Send a message via MSN to Istonian

Canada seems like a place where no one really cares about what you do as long as it does not harm others. Canada just moved up on my list of top countries!
Old 11-12-2007, 07:06 PM   #6
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istonian View Post
Canada seems like a place where no one really cares about what you do as long as it does not harm others. Canada just moved up on my list of top countries!
We're second to Netherlands (Amsterdam) about this kinda stuff
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:13 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to FlightSimBoy

i thought RIAA was international.

Hell, if they can sue a dead grandmother and 12 year olds who don't even own a computer, then how come they can't sue someone in Canada?
My Computer: eMachines T5226 - Intel Pentium D Dual Core @ 3 GHz - Diamond Viper Radeon HD3870 OC Edition with 1 GB GDDR3 VRAM - 4 GB PQi Turbo DDR2-533 RAM - Corsair 650W PSU with 52A on single rail - TSSTcorp DVD-DL+-RW combo drive - Lite-on 52x CD-RW burner - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer - Logitech z5300e speakers - WinFast TV Tuner - Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. eBay name: Flightsimboy304
FlightSimBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:19 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightSimBoy View Post
........ File sharing is legal in Canada.....
File sharing is legal worldwide, you run into problems when it comes to sharing material that is copyrighted.

That is the illegal bit.
E8600@ 4.25GHz, 1.325V | Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme + Scythe Slipstream 120 | Asus Rampage Extreme| 4GB Corsair 2000MHz 8-8-8-24 @ 1600 6-7-6-24| ASUS 9800GTX| Pioneer 18X SATA DVD-RW | 320GB + 500GB WD SATAII | Antec True Power Trio 650W | Thermaltake Sonata | Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 Ultimate
Old 11-12-2007, 07:25 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

Double post, bloody server lol

mutter mutter mutter
Old 11-12-2007, 09:54 PM   #10
In Runtime

They never enforced Copyright laws on individuals anyways, this was just a public statement.
EDIT: They never said it was legal, they said they wouldn't enforce it. So everyone saying "Canada making it legal ect..." or anything like that is not correct.
EDIT2: Instead they are going after the sites EG: Demonoid.

TheLastWolf is offline   Reply With Quote