Gigabyte RMA nightmare! Avoid Gigabyte at all costs!

What has been your experience with Gigabyte

• Total voters

voyager93

Beta member
Yesterday, I received this reply from Gigabyte:

rma1.jpg

They claimed that the video card I sent them GeForce GTX 980Ti was damaged!?!

rma2.jpg

And this was my reply:

To whom it may concern:

After speaking with a customer service supervisor, he confirmed that
my RMA request is being denied because of presumed "damage" to components
on the video card IN SPITE of user-provided EVIDENCE (photographs) that
I submitted to Gigabyte proving that NO DAMAGE to the card occurred prior
to being shipped on October 31, 2017.
It is clear from the images that I provided that NO DAMAGE to the board or PCB
had ever occurred.

IMG_0424.jpg

I was told that the images I submitted could not be validated as to their authenticity
and that the image dates / geo-location markers could have been fabricated or altered!
Are you kidding me!?!
I followed ALL of the required Gigabyte guidelines including properly sealing the card
in it's original anti-static bag, shipping the card in it's original Gigabyte case (with all foam
included), using extra bubble wrap, taking a detailed set of images of the card from every angle,
as well as insuring the package with Federal Express.

The card was working properly until it malfunctioned while performing a geekbench 4 test.
This card is STILL under warranty and yet my warranty is being DENIED!

And I am aware that this has happened to MANY other unsuspecting customers.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/gigabyte-rma...
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1804531/screwed-...
http://www.computerforums.org/forums/hardware/gigabyte-...

Accordingly I will be submitting this entire experience (including proof with images) on
ANY and ALL forums and websites so as to make ALL other potential customers
aware of the treatment of people who purchase Gigabyte products as well
as the dangers of using the RMA service with Gigabyte.

Further, I will no longer purchase ANY additional Gigabyte products in the future
and will use my influence to dissuade ALL other potential customers from doing the same.

Disappointed and outraged,

If anyone has similar experiences or advice, I would appreciate your feedback!
Thanks.

When you shipped the card back, did you insure it? If so, file a claim. If not, pursue damages from the shipper.

Can't say much about Gigabyte. Have only had (and currently have) a Gigabyte graphics card.
The gigabyte 980ti xtreme. No problems with the card, but the overclocking software it came with have annoyed me a little.

But this happens. I have had issues with EVGA, Asus, Thermaltake, Dell, Targus, Samsung and corsair and properly more.

I was told that the images I submitted could not be validated as to their authenticity
and that the image dates / geo-location markers could have been fabricated or altered!
Are you kidding me!?!

LOL! Ok, from now on, i'm taking photos inside the shipping provider's store with today's copy of my local news paper - kidnapper style - i'd like to see them try to say fabricated/altered.

Let me say this, it's more than a bit odd that a client take detailed pics of an item before shipping it. I mean why do that? I can see someone taking pics of it and recording / photographing identifying marks before shipping it off after selling it as I've had friends have buyers try to scam them by removing / replacing parts from rare or expensive guitar amplifiers then claiming it was received broken.

That said, customer satisfaction was always a biggie with me and in the interest of fairness I have to say I worked for a major PC maker, as well as an aftermarket option card supplier and if I received a product that was deemed to be damaged upon receipt, here's what "I" would have done.

First and foremost ask for proof of purchase from an authorized seller. Some clients of mine clearly obtained used broken stuff and / or the serial number of the product was old and well out of warranty.

After advising the customer of the issue, and ask for permission to evaluate it further. Then give it to a competent tech or engineer to ascertain if the damaged area could easily be fixed, or if it could not be repaired evaluate the damage to see if the damaged portion links in any way to the complaint. If it did, then clearly it was damaged before shipping making the claim it was not damaged before sending it an outright lie.

If that pic with the arrow is pointing to a broken surface trace, it's ridiculously easy to repair, and I would do it for the client and void the card from further warranty claims.

Failing an easy repair, then I would suggest the customer make a claim with the shipper if it could not be resolved.

Either something is missing, or, To be honest, I do see the point that gigabyte are making.

If they had said, "we got your item, but it is broken, we can see the box arrived lookin like someone was playing football with it, so we suggest that you make a claim with the shipper"

Then I'd see that as a valid thing,

But it looks like they received a well packaged card, with some damaged PCB traces, their question is, how did this get damaged? -presumably the traces didn't burn off during your tests as that would have shown as broken in your own photos...

You see the problem? -traces do not mysteriously cut themselves.

But, customers do mishandle and miss install products and then try to make warranty claims for things not covered under a warranty...

It's not really that unthinkable that gigabyte think you've mishandled the card and tri d to make a warranty claim when the card arrives with specific damage that could not possibly have occurred during shipping.

I don't believe hat in the case that you received a user damaged part that you'd have "just fixed it" or invested days of engineers time into investigating/evaluating how damage was occurred. It's pretty open/shut.

The card is damaged, that damage is not consistent with damage that could have occurred during shipping. -so deny the claim and move on... Don't spend time/resources/money investigating further... (You know otherwise the company ends up loosing money due to lots of false warranty claims.)

Your best option now:
Persue your claim in court. -the warranty is a legal agreement. So gigabyte shouldn't "just deny" you think you have a case, Persue it...
assuming you really believe that the box has been damaged in transit, ask for a videnxe of the packaging that the card was received in, claim against the shipping company.

I had a dispute with Newegg one time over a motherboard I received from them. I ordered a brand new Asrock motherboard (for my i3 build) and paid for it as such. Upon receiving it I noticed that:

The box showed evidence of being opened as the seal on the static bag was cut.

The motherboard is bent.

The CPU socket is damaged.

I thought WTF you sent me this crap !?! I filed an RMA and sent it back to them. They returned it to me claiming that I damaged it. I told them what I found upon receiving it and I've done 100s of builds so I know what I'm doing.

They didn't believe me and that really made me mad and I told everything about what Newegg did to me on ResellerRatings.com and added that I've bought tons of stuff from them without any problems.

The head honchos from Newegg saw this post and told me to return the board and I'll get a new one plus a store credit for $25 for my troubles. They probably looked at my order history and saw it's all good business. Hopefully, they fired a jerk worker.

Back
Top Bottom