Gigabyte Motherboards

So I'm looking to buy myself a new motherboard. I'm going to go with Gigabyte, as I've heard awesome stuff about them.

Here are some of the specs I want:
-Price: 50-75
-Memory: Support for 4GB at 800MHz+ speeds
-Socket: LGA 775 (C2D/Dual-Core)
-FSB: 1333/1066MHz
-PCI-E x16 (I will be purchasing a HD2600 Pro)

Now here's the questions:
-I will be using onboard video for a while, which one is better: Intel G31 or nVidia GeForce 7050/nForce 610i?
-Also, when it says it supports C2D does it also support Dual-Core? Some CPUs are classified as Dual-Cores and other C2D
-Also, if I had to choose between Dual Channel support or a better onboard video, which one do I go with?

Lastly, if you can guarantee me good performance out of another brand, post a link. I'm not a fanboy, I've just heard pretty good things from Gigabyte owners. Make sure the card fits my requirements. I'm doing a moderate upgrade until I can get a job, which will be in one year (taking 4 college classes [AP] next year and I won't have time).

Well, like I said I don't work, so I'm only getting the GPU at the end of the year. I'm also getting the CPU at the end of the year. I think the P4 will hold me. All I have been doing lately is watching videos.

It's a bad thing to do in computers to slowly buy parts. Buy the time the whole thing is finished, the prices of the parts you bought earlier are probably cheaper. I would wait until you have your money saved up and then start buying parts.

That's true, but the parts that fluctuate more in price I'm saving for last (CPU and GPU). I think I'll be fine. Wouldn't you agree? I mean...the only part that I would have trouble with would be the motherboard. But it's not like I'll need a quad-core or anything like that. And if I do it has support. Also, do these new graphic cards such as HD4xxx Series and nVidia 8/9 series take PCI-E x16 or PCI-E x16 2.0? Those are the only problems I can see forming.

It's a bad thing to do in computers to slowly buy parts. Buy the time the whole thing is finished, the prices of the parts you bought earlier are probably cheaper. I would wait until you have your money saved up and then start buying parts.

this is really only true if you are one of those people who likes to stay on the cutting edge or at least close to it (I would guess mostly gamers), if he's just a regular "casual" user (like me) this can be a great way to save money...

he could get a decent motherboard now and then gradually upgrade the other parts later, a core2duo will be cheaper at the end of the year and he may be able to get a great deal on a GPU at the end of the year also, hell, some 8800GTs are down to about $110USD after rebates now, just wait a few months, not to mention a lot of people are gonna be ebaying their old GPUs when they get the new ones...

That's true, but the parts that fluctuate more in price I'm saving for last (CPU and GPU). I think I'll be fine. Wouldn't you agree? I mean...the only part that I would have trouble with would be the motherboard. But it's not like I'll need a quad-core or anything like that. And if I do it has support. Also, do these new graphic cards such as HD4xxx Series and nVidia 8/9 series take PCI-E x16 or PCI-E x16 2.0? Those are the only problems I can see forming.

PCI-E x16 2.0 is backwards compatible anyways, a regular PCI-E x16 card will work in them...

What port does the 8800 run on?

the 8800GT would run in the PCI-E x16 slot...

No, the motherboard I plan on ordering is PCI-E 16x...I need to find a better one I guess.

I assumed you wouldn't be gaming because you were talking about onboard video being sufficient for your needs at the moment, are you planning on gaming...? if so, you need to find a decent video card to go with the motherboard, onboard graphics isn't gonna be enough...

Back
Top Bottom