Gigabyte Motherboard w/ SATA

catalyst1

BSOD
I just built a computer with the specs in my signature, and I can't get the SATA to run right. Basically, the Windows installer copies the files needed for setup, but when it restarts, the BIOS still doesn't recognize the hard drive as bootable, and it boots from the setup CD again.

I know you have to install the SATA drivers, and I don't know if it's different between different brands, but for Gigabyte, I have to use a program on the driver CD to get files onto a floppy so I can tell the Windows installer to setup the SATA properly. However, when I open the menu in DOS to choose the particular SATA driver set I need, it freezes! Also, when I try to manually run the file to extract, it says that it can't create any of the directories or open any of the files. URGH! HELP!

Please note that I'm trying to do this on the computer that I built. Would it make a difference to try to get the drivers onto floppy on another, already-working computer?

That is what I would do and in transfering the drivers be sure to load the txtsetup.oem

this is what will install the drivers to the hdd.

Okay, so I got the motherboard CD to install the drivers onto floppy, and I get the Windows installer to use those drivers, but when it installs the setup files and reboots, the BIOS still doesn't recognize the drive as bootable. RARRRGGGHHH! Why can't SATA be fully integrated like IDE!!

Yes I am also having problems with RAID thing in my Gigabyte K8NS Pro.....I have started to hate gigabyte motherboards....

May Be You can Try this....

When setup finishes loading files and when it restarts.....take the XP cd out and see what happens....if the setup has to begin...then it will ask you to insert the disk...and if the it says something like boot error and asks you to insert system disk...then you gotta check your connections...I hope this helps....

Well, if there is no CD to boot from, nothing else happens. It goes to boot, sees there's no CD, and stops completely. Is SATA supposed to be this hard to set up? Is it just Gigabyte boards? Is there anything I can do short of RMAing for an IDE?

you haven't said what the drive was...I just sent back 3 out of 5 seagates 160 gig drives because they had messed up boot capabilities... all the drives would take the files and all but would not boot and this was a IDE set up. I even forced new IDE drivers in to the set up and it always came back as "Failed to Load Operating System"
All these computers are exactly alike everything identicle as it was for a business... After 15 hours each of rewriting each disc to 0's on a full low level format and 3 days of the seagate tech support on the phone they finally concluded that yep the drives were bad and to send them back and they would replace them..

yes...I just got new 40G Maxtor and I am trying to make it Master and boot OS through that hard drive.....but everytime I try to format and install, the setup says that it need a partition from my other hard drive (80G) to install some startup files...without it the setup wont even format my 40G.....

Well, it's the drive in my signature that I'm having trouble with. I don't know, but this is very frustrating.

Just an update - I got it to work! Apparently it wasn't the drivers, it was the BIOS. I realized that because it wouldn't even recognize the drive was bootable, it was probably a BIOS problem. I played around with a few options and noticed that the SATA RAID was turned on. All I had to do was turn RAID off, and I didn't even need any drivers! YAY!

Back
Top Bottom