Gigabyte motherboard!ghost!

MAR079ER

Solid State Member
Hey

iv an old packard bell shell with a gigabyte 85661fxm-rz motherboard running windows 7!
1st question-what type of core do i have??its got like 1 big block with aload of fins in it??
2nd question-when it starts up it freeze's at the username login,i have to press ctrl,alt and delete to get it to come up!???? (ANY IDEA WHATS CAUSING THIS???)
it also has an upgraded power supply and fan
extended 40gb hardrive
GRAPHIC CARD ATI d33053
x2 dvd/cd drive,1 is a RW Drive other is factory!

does anyone know what would be a good upgrade for this system to turn it into a better machine and web surfer??

THANKS A MILL LADS ALL HELP APRECIATED FULLY!:eek:

Yea, the Gigabyte 8S661FXM-RZ motherboard uses the old Socket 478 for Intel Pentium 4 CPU's but it could be a number of things causing it to freeze at login.

If browsing the web is the most your doing on this machine then ensure half a Gig' of RAM is installed with no bloatware and it should be good for a while.

Thanks for the reply remeniz!i just checked there,i have 512mb runing windows 7 pro?would that be a problem?
my flashcard is runing DirectX i think its too old or out of date not sure what i need runing windows 7 pro?new to this,but determined and very interested in solving it! :D

Thanks for the reply remeniz! I just checked there, I have 512MB runing windows 7 Pro? Would that be a problem?

Ah, W7? I'd want at least 1GB RAM for that unless you completely strip the OS back to the bone. By the time you've installed the anti-virus software your using about 500MB-600MB. XP Pro is much better with RAM; an install with AV software is about 140MB! Something to think about.

My flashcard is runing DirectX. I think its too old or out of date not sure what i need running windows 7 pro? New to this, but determined and very interested in solving it! :D

You mean a graphics card? The Gigabyte 8S661FXM-RZ features a AGP slot where you could fit an AGP GPU but the on-board graphics solution should be good enough for browsing. But going back to the RAM situation... if your running on-board graphics it will allocate some RAM for it's own use. This means more RAM needed if you want to run W7 in full aero spec.

Take it easy DOC im new to this lol!What do you mean by stripping back to OS?Well basically the PC was built by an old freind,now im trying to give it a go myself!

OS=Starting the system from scratch of course after i get a bigger ram?

Also the flashcard i have out of date?could it be updated?or just go with buying the one you quoted?

lol!

What do you mean by stripping back to OS?

When you install the Operating System you can go into it and turn off/disable a lot of RAM hungry features like the 'Glassy' aero theme you got with Windows 7; disable it and the window fades and stuff. Also things that happen in the background in Windows can be turned off.

OS=Starting the system from scratch of course after i get a bigger ram?

OS = Operating System. I.E. Windows XP/Vista/7, OSX, Ubuntu.....

Also the flashcard i have out of date?could it be updated?or just go with buying the one you quoted?

Whats the flash card?

lol!

When you install the Operating System you can go into it and turn off/disable a lot of RAM hungry features like the 'Glassy' aero theme you got with Windows 7; disable it and the window fades and stuff. Also things that happen in the background in Windows can be turned off.

i see!so save any programs i may want to keep!do you know of any other junk i could delete while in OS off of it!
By the way,my windows 7 is a copy,but i have the serial key,do you know where i could get a copy to put on disc before i OS it! :D

OS = Operating System. I.E. Windows XP/Vista/7, OSX, Ubuntu.....

Whats the flash card?

ATI D33053 card with DVI and VGA Ports and 1 other small one,is it ok to use or would i be best off investing in a better card?

ATI D33053 card with DVI and VGA Ports and 1 other small one, is it ok to use or would i be best off investing in a better card?

Ah, that's a graphics card. It's old but it'll be fine to browse the internet with. Just make sure you get Windows 7 drivers for it, if you can.

Thanks REMINEZ i shall look into the OS side of things,is it hard to do?with the drives got of course?lol

there is 2 slots for the RAM on my motherboard,would another 512mb help or just go buy the decent sized one?
Thanks for the help dude!

Thanks REMINEZ i shall look into the OS side of things, is it hard to do? with the drives got of course? lol

40GB hard drive is plenty for a browsing machine. Although if you have a copy of XP Pro lying about i'd go with that. And it's just a matter of popping in the OS CD in the drive and booting from it. Follow the instructions and that's it, you have your OS installed.

There is 2 slots for the RAM on my motherboard, would another 512mb help or just go buy the decent sized one?
Thanks for the help dude!

If you wanna run Windows 7 and you can get another 512MB RAM cheap then go for it. 1GB will give you enough room to work with. Also your motherboard can hold 2GB max.

:D

Back
Top Bottom