Gigabyte MB will not recognise OCZ SSD

afrowookie

Baseband Member
My friend has a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 MB, and a OCZ Octane S2 SSD. The main problem is the MB will not recognise the SSD at all. I tried updating the BIOS to F9b which is the latest the one, tried moving the sata cable to different positions on the board, changed BIOS settings to AHCI, and back to Native IDE. Nothing works. In the BIOS under Standard CMOS Features it will not show up with any HDD info for the SSD. Also booting up with Windows 7 Disc, after booting up to the window where it allows you to pick which HDD to install Windows on, it does not show any HDD or SSD.

Is there something I am doing wrong. I thought these new drives are supposed to be very user friendly. I watch videos of others installing their SSD's for the first time and Windows bootup picks it up right away.

Could this be a DOA SSD.

Thanks in advance,

Afrowookie

tried in a different computer? see if it picks it up.

if it dont SSD got a problem.
if it does the Mobo's got a problem.

otherwise no ideas, good try with the bios though, not many people fiddle with bios anymore.

Tried it on my PC via adapter cable with its own Power supply. It only detected it as an unrecognised usb device and could not find a driver for it to install. It could not be seen in Device manager other than a usb device with no driver. Could not be seen in Disk management either. Also tried different power cables and sata cables with no luck.

I don't think its the MB because everything seems fine otherwise. He also ha a Samsung 1.5TB HDD and when I installed windows on that everything was running smoothly. Just can't seem to get the SSD to seen any where.

I think im going to mess with the BIOS some more. I read somewhere that someone had to activate the SSD in the BIOS settings but couldn't remember what setting it was. Isn't the setting AHCI

Set the BIOS to AHCI. When installing Windows, you will need to load the driver for the controller as there wont be one built in. This would explain why you're having trouble.

Of course, if you don't see the drive when you power on the computer and the AHCI ROM detects attached devices, then the drive could be dead.

I have set it to AHCI but nothing shows up, even when booting AHCI tries to detect hard rives installed, does not pick up the OCZ SSD. If I boot up in Windows 7 on a Legacy HDD, then plugged my SSD in either normally through Sata cable from MB or an adapter cable, shouldn't Windows detect a drive as being installed and from there I can install drivers. That's what the instructions tell me, and then from windows go to My Computer, right click my SSD which should be there and then format the drive. Well no such luck considering it won't even show up anywhere.

Set the BIOS to Native IDE and plug the drive in. Boot the computer into Windows and see if the drive shows up in Disk Management. If it doesn't then we can safely say that the drive is DOA.

Back
Top Bottom