GigaByte MB not detecting all RAM

computergeek05

Solid State Member
Hey guys. I bought a Gigabyte motherboard. Not top of the line, but it's good for what I need. GA-8S661FXMP-RZ. Something like that(I'm not at home right now).

I bought 1 stick of Kingston 512mb Pc3200 ram. Also have 1 512mb pc3200 samsung stick. It only detects 512mb ram.

I thought maybe the samsung stick isn't compatable..I bought anmother Kingston 512 mb pc3200 stick. Still the same issue. I have a 250 Watt power supply. Could that be insufficient? P4 2.8GHZ HT CPU.

My Bios is fully updated. I have no idea what's going on. Could it be that my ram is working, but only shows up as 512? Are there any programs to download that show the status of your comp? Like the temp, howmuch memory u have, etc..

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

TRDCorolla said:
Are you sticking them in the right slots? Make sure they are in slot DDR1 and DDR2

Ya my motherboard only has 2 slots and they are both full by the Kingstons. I have put memory in many times so this baffles me.

I wonder why it's saying I have Samsung in there as well? lol

lhuser said:
250 Watts???? You definately need a better one...god... that's not enough!

Serious? Yeah this is the same one from over 2 years ago. I upgraded everything in my computer besides the power supply.

I have an update on my ram issue. I got that everest program. I bought two Kingstons and I read the writing on it more carefully. One of them is manufactured by Samsung (hence the program detecting samsung). The other one is Kingston.

Here is the thing. Everest is recognizing that I have 2 Slots with 2 ram sticks installed. My computer only says I have 512 in total when I boot up and on system properties.

Could it be a bios setting or something?

Right now I'm using a 250W psu with 2x 512MB sticks of ram and 2x 256mb sticks... unless his video card or cpu uses a lot more power than mine that probably isn't the problem.

Sorry I can't help more but I really don't know, I've only changed memory a couple times and it worked fine.

maybe you have a bad ram slot in your motherboard? you might wanna take your motherboard back and get a new one and see if that helps.

Tommy Boy said:
maybe you have a bad ram slot in your motherboard? you might wanna take your motherboard back and get a new one and see if that helps.

That's probably what I'm going to do. I thought maybe the 2 ram modules were physically working, but I guess they aren't. Shows I have sticks in both slots, but says total physical memory is 512. weird. oh well. I'll figure something out.

Back
Top Bottom