getting started on computer build.

teamo1

Baseband Member
I have everything I need finally. I am getting ready to start assembling all of the parts. I am confused about the thermal paste application though. Does the paste go on the pin side of the processor or does it go on the top flat side of the processor where you attach the heatsink and fan assembly. Thanks.

Wew thank god you asked this question cause you could of really misse dup your PC, the PIN SIDE IS EXTERMELY IMPORTANT I am going keep the installation simple

1. Install the CPU latch the CPU into the socket
2. Put thermal paste on the metal side (NOT THE PIN SIDE) just a dab in the middle no more, the less the better
3. Ensure your heatskin doesn't have a thermal pad on it!
4. If it does, wipe it off with a towel or somthing.
5. Place the heatskin on the CPU, latch it place puff your done.

Also can we get your specs?

umm if he's using arctic silver, it's best to put the dab and then spread it out, then put the heatsink on because there's not enough pressure on the paste by the heatsink to spread it out all the way.

Spreading it out can be apain, simply put the dab in the middle of the heatspeader of the CPU (big shinny metal part) and toss the heatskin on. Thats how we do it at work when dealing with AS5 as well. I find spreading it out can get complicated and messy, and doesn't do all that much good.The paste will spread out by itself when the heatskin is installed.

I would put a dab like everyone's saying in the middle of the CPU heat spreader. Then pop the heatsink on it and clamp it down. The pressure just from that will spread the heatsink pretty good. Whatever you do, don't put that thermal compound on the pins side. You'll screw it up. It goes on the smooth top surface, in the middle.

I've attempted to spread it out, and honsetly I don't got the patience to do it. I mean you don't really need thermal paste either, my boss show me with a AMD 3200 how it can run without a thermal paste, granted its not a wise idea, cause its extermely hot.

Sorry,
I forgot to add my specs...
AMD 64 X2 4200
Asus M2N-SLI deluxe
MSI GE force 7600 GT
2GB Corsair XMS 6400 RAM
Seagate 250 GB SATA 3.0
Samsung 16X DVD-RW
Creative Sound Blaster Live 14 bit
Logitech X-230 speakers
Hans G 19" LCD widescreen monitor
Antec 2.0 500W power supply
Antec super lanboy ATX case
Microsoft wireless optical desktop 1000/ keyboard and mouse

Thanks all for your help. I'll post back here when I get started as I am sure that I will have some more questions.
Teamo

Back
Top Bottom